Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Struck 01.23.20 (NY) "UPDATED"

TowNews

A Tow Truck / Roll Back belonging to Griff's Auto Service out of Rochester, NY was struck by a Dump Truck on Thursday. The tow truck operator was injured in the accident. "SEE UPDATE BELOW"

GAS012320B.jpg.9f97328def1ace75998b156beb8918ef.jpg

Deputies investigating crash between tow truck and dump truck in Chili

GAS012320A.jpg.e431af137bd3708cc5b99a1c26f9d13e.jpg

CHILI, N.Y. (WHEC) — Monroe County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating a crash involving a tow truck and a dump truck.

It happened on I-490, just east of the Paul Road overpass for the exit that leads to the Town of Chili.

Deputies say it appears the tow truck was loading a broken down vehicle onto its flatbed portion of the tow truck then rolled over into the median.

One person sustained minor injuries from the crash.

GAS012320C.jpg.0fda70d4eb168164a06f1f9500f92452.jpg

GAS012320H.jpg.30c12210d81d0aeb4ba4444d12afa2a3.jpg

Traffic was completely shut down in the area from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. on Thursday afternoon.

GAS012320D.jpg.20b19d1b35f9f030f9137cade1ae9cd3.jpg

GAS012320J.jpg.7fc1d62dabea5282ee76ae90948013cf.jpg

RESOURCE LINK

GAS012320E.thumb.jpg.7f9da8becea9a1a745a922a4dab2d04a.jpg

GAS012320F.thumb.jpg.42ecd765ca9e91718c5883c738a22d13.jpg

GAS012320G.thumb.jpg.963cffd5dc06d6dbefa6fe49ca68941e.jpg

I know a couple guys from Griffs personally although, I dont know the operator involved. This is about 1-1/2 hours north of me. I was told the Operator was working the curb side of his truck, facing traffic and saw the dump truck coming and was able to get away before impact. A perfect example of situational awareness. I was also told there was no disabled vehicle driver on scene as they were picked up by a friend just before the tow truck arrived. I personally consider this a win for the industry and proper training. Although the tow truck is totaled, and the dump truck driver suffered minor injuries, The Operator was trained properly, was working as safely as possible and had his guard up while working in a dangerous area that not only saved his life, but he ended up with out a scratch on him. He helped to load up his wrecked truck then went back to the shop and got into another truck to finish his shift. Thats a win in my book.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Before you post on something like this, make sure you get your info correct. The tow truck driver didnt go back to shop and finish his shift, he spent rest of day and evening in the emergency room as he had injuries that needed medical attention.  I know the driver personally. So get your facts straight before posting on these threads. Have a great day

While I have no information regarding the driver going back to work. The News Report Stated "The tow truck operator was not injured in the incident. " The Police Department reported that only the Dump Truck Driver sustained minor injuries.  On the Drivers Facebook he stated he was not injured and helped load the wrecker up for tow back to the lot. I assumed he took the images as they are at the scene and back at the lot. SInce the first 24 hours there have been numerous conflicting stories posted on Facebook. I would never say our news taken from the headlines is accurate, however we do our best to confirm the information from various sources. Rarely are there any follow up stories. Thanks for the information, possibly there were some assumptions made. All I can say is 3 sources reported the driver was not injured and that included what was thought to be the driver. I didn't save those links, so I will need to go in search of those details.

I apologize if the information I posted was incorrect as I received my information 3rd, well technically 4th party. If the driver was Injured I hope he has a speedy recovery. If you know the driver personally Winchester, could you let us know the details of what happened ? A lot of times any information received is like playing the game telephone because these incidents DONT get the proper recognition they deserve. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I was one of 2 operators on scene. I was struck by the deck when the dump truck hit. I was thrown into the ditch. I am out of work and currently waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon to determine the extent of my ankle injuries. The dump truck driver walked away

Mark64 & Towwife64 thank you for responding. We get misinformation far more than anyone knows, other than contacting the tow operator involved directly. The best we can do is go on what the media reports and we do our best to confirm the information. These reports of Tow Operators Struck or Only the Equipment being struck are only posted upon confirmation such as a news report. Looking back some of the images came from various sources. One was said to be the drivers Facebook page, however there is no reference as to who the driver was and it seems to have been shared numerous times and possibly by others involved leading to the confusion.

We are certainly glad that you are here to comment in this topic. However, we are saddened to here you did sustain injuries which have sidelined you for now. Hopefully, you have a speedy recovery and please keep us advised. Too often these stories come out and they do not relate that this was a Tow Operator involved. The story is read and fades away, but one of our brothers in towing is still in recovery. His life was impacted by a careless driver. Thankfully yours is not another name we will be placing on the Wall of the Fallen.

May the TowForce be with you in your recovery. God Bless!