Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Hello to all starting a new venture

RICHARD PRATTS

Hello to everyone here, I live in New Jersey and have to get out of here the cost of living is getting crazy here.  I'm planning on moving to Florida in the next year or so and starting a towing business I hope to get a lot of information from the members here that can help I want to go to classes to get certified and hope to see some of you in Orlando when I got to the tow show in 2019. Right now I'm trying to do all the research and get as much information that I can and I will appreciate any suggestions and answers I get from the members that are here to help.  I want to say thank you to the members here making this forum available and with great information and answers.  Thanks

Put on the brakes, Richard!  Florida is full of stories just like yours.  First, figure out where in Florida you plan to settle.  Come down and look around.  Florida is infested with cheap towing companies and repo'd tow trucks.  Check Craigslist in the areas you might be interested and you will see what I am talking about.

Jim B

My suggestion in addition to the others is to start with a business plan. If you are starting with one truck, look for a niche in the market that you can service. There is always a need in any market for a company that is willing to go out of their way to provide a wow moment with regards to customer service. Have an ice chest in your truck that is stocked with cold water, Gatorade, and other cold drinks. Have an advertising budget. Church bulletins as well as placing an ad on the back of the receipts from the grocery store is a good option. Develop a safety plan. Also, begin the process of developing an employee handbook. Even if you are the lone employee. It is never too early to develop an employee handbook. I really like the book by Dave Ramsey entitled "Entrée Leadership." The book discusses starting and running a small business.

Grow your business slow. If you can avoid taking on and getting into debt, do so at all costs. Profit is your best friend.

Goodmichael is ALWAYS giving good advise.  He is right on with a business plan and finding a need and filling it.  Just be careful and think things through.  Take a couple of weeks and visit the area you are thinking about.  As you have probably seen on C'list the prices are all over the place around Orlando.  I liked a couple that I saw.  Flat rate $50 tow was one..  Another was a large dealership with several locations looking for a tow service.  Pays $20 to $30  per tow and guarantees 3 to 4 tows a day.  They make me want to go get a $100,000 roll back with a good air conditioner and sign on. NOT !

It seems that a lot of Northern folks think that Florida is a land of milk and honey but, they soon learn that you have to milk the cows and rob the bees to get that milk and honey. Plus there is always someone that will do things cheaper. Good Luck !!

Goodmichael thanks for the advice a lot of good points and that's why I joined the forum to get some good advice from some good people and that's why I'm trying to do all the research before I jump into this new venture that I plan on doing in a year and a half to 2 years I know towing is not just buy a tow truck and start towing I want to go to classes and go to the shows. The only reason I'm thinking about Florida is because the weather and the cost of living and I also have family there. I own a condo in Daytona so I go out there about 4 times a year.  I  am tired of working and giving the state of New Jersey all my money on high taxes for nothing. I agree with you about customer service in this day and time with the internet everyone is always looking to see reviews. The days of naming your business with the letter A is not a need anymore as no one uses a telephone book. I want to thank you very much for the pointers and good advice.  Be safe.

Hey Richard ... good luck in your ventures where ever you wind up. Another option is to consider partnering with someone with like type drive and motivation to help spread out costs, build on business ideas and share the workload. Partnership isn't for all people, but there are many tow companies across America that a partnership owned. Partnership doesn't mean taking on another stranger's baggage, but possibly a family member or your spouse if you have one. Partnerships can happen if partners know their place, capable of sharing ideas, don't steal from one another and those who have each other's back and business well being in mind. You're smart to attend any and all classes you can as well as go to the varying tow shows in Florida, Chattanooga, Texas, and, while you're still in Jersey, go to the American Towman Exposition  in Atlantic City, December 4 through the 8th, before you head south.  I dragged a link that I've archived in my information and pass it on to you. http://guides.wsj.com/small-business/starting-a-business/how-to-start-a-business-with-a-partner/    And, since you already have place in Daytona, you know doubt have plenty of SPF 30 and a large can of skeeter repellant. Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress.       R.

Randall C. Resch

Hey Randy thanks for the advice and the link you provided that's why I joined this forum to see what people are doing and to get some good sound advice from professionals willing to share there ideas and thoughts. I want to learn as much as I can and do as much research as I can that's why my plan is to do it in 2 years to go to classes and get some training. Anyone can buy a tow truck and say they're a tow operator I want to do it right. I'm planning on going to the Florida show although I will probably be in crutches since I'm getting my achilleas operated on in March and I will defiantly be at the Atlantic city show since I'm only 30 minutes away.  I am also going to see if I can get a part time job with a tow company to get some experience operating a tow truck.  That partnership idea is good but sometimes its hard to find someone with the drive to want to succeed and give it a 110% to make it. I once owned a pizza shop with a friend and we were partners and didn't work out my partner didn't put the time and effort into the business and he spent more time next door at the dunkin donuts with the girls working there needless to say he ended up getting divorce leaving his wife for a young girl and at the end he lost everything.  I am not opposed to a partnership but it has to be someone with motivation and a drive to succeed and want to work. thanks for all the input.

Your welcome sir. Take the time to pick everyone's mind looking for ideas that suits your way of thinking. Finding a partner for this industry takes time getting to know someone's drive and personality just like being married for sure. If you're looking for part-time work, there's lots of great companies in Florida. Build you skill-sets first and get formally trained to make yourself marketable and edjucated. Here's the link to TIMs training on-line if you haven't already taken it. When you're ready to start work, take time to choose a company that fits you and choose a company that's not trying to bull-s**t you just to fill a seat. A great way to find that out is stop and chat with the towers you see when you're out and about to see what their comments are about the company they work for ... go get um'.

If you get the the tow show in Atlantic City, stop by and say hello s I'll be there teaching. And, for the guy who you say lost everything, I wouldn't think that would be the case ... at least he got free donuts for awhile I'm certain. Best regards.      R.

Randall C. Resch

Archived