Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Forks for 12 ton

I am looking to buy some more forks for my new 12 ton. I have a 2465 on a MV ext cab chassis. Trying to be more versatile with this new truck. What should I buy? I know it will be limited but I only have 2 sets now the standard 2 inch one that comes on every medium duty and slightly wider. I was thinking spring forks and u bolt cups for sure. I have the risers already from my current 2465. Will a 15 foot chain be long enough to chain up a tandem. Its been awhile not sure if my old one was 15 or 20 feet. Thank Mike

Yeah Mike 15' is plenty to chain both sides of a tandem. The ubolt fork is good and honest I have a wide set I'd have to measure them to tell you exactly how wide they are but I'm going say 6 maybe 7" wide I use them for almost everything. Being to wide is better than not having a set wide enough. I have a set of the leafspring forks and I might use them a couple times a year I only use them when nothing else works. I have about 10 different set of forks and I always use the wide set and the ubolt set 99% of the time. They make a special set for the 450 & up fords that are like U shaped I have them but every time I tow one I've always used the wide set that I use on everything. I always try and tow from the rear if at all possible just to keep from having to deal with the driveline. So I use the ubolt fork often and if it is a flat bed,box or something with a long over hang that you can't get to the ubolts I use the wide set I have to grab chassis or lift gate or whatever else is at the rear that is strong enough. Oh I also use the forks that are for low chassis they are short on one side and at a angle so you just push it under the front axle and it'll pick it up and grab then I lift up and block it and change to the fork that fits but again I try and tow from the rear if possible. Irish Iron has kits . But I personally wouldn't buy a kit because you probably will never use most that are in kits. To start out get a wide set, riser, ubolt and you will be able to make them work on anything. Then as you go you will see what you may want to purchase to make some easier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you. I know I will be limited with it. I never really had a lot of experience with medium size trucks. Always had light duty wreckers and carriers and then went straight to 20 ton and 35 ton heavy wreckers. On them we had 7 set's of forks on the 20 ton and 10 on the 35 ton. I know on them I would typically use the u bolt cups or standard forks. On the heavy trash trucks I picked them up by the frame behind the bumper or chained the axel. I haven't ran a heavy in 7 years or so when I sold my 30 ton. It's funny how you lose track of things when time slips by. I'm sure there will be a learning curve getting back into towing larger trucks. Especially with a smaller truck than I was use to with less reach.

A tandem rear tow on U-bolt cups w/ a 12 ton is probably not realistic...that 2465 isn't going to lift 10k I don't think...not stuck out for sure. 12 ton would do it on a sling. I would get spring slippers for it. We used those quite a bit for heavier stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Miller short tapered forks 75% of the time & Irish Iron chain forks secondly on my 12 ton

https://zips.com/parts-detail/miller-short-tapered-axle-fork-2-wid-mil-tapered?optionlabel_quantity=pair&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx4C52_aXggMVygGtBh253wmKEAQYASABEgLdz_D_BwE

https://irishironwrecker.com/products/chain-forks

IMG_4220.jpg

Edited by Orcas Tow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island