Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Towing Rollback from the rear

I am curious if you can pick them up from the feet with 4 inch forks. I have been towing them from the front and pulling the driveshaft typically. I have heard that the ram 5500 and F550s can just be picked from the rear and you don't need to pull a driveshaft in the front. Looking for some sound advice. Maybe how you guys are picking them. Thanks

I have towed a lot of rollbacks backwards with my heavy or my old MD 12 ton...

20211012_145445.thumb.jpg.b293c931bb38f1e1b86826e6e9e1c812.jpg

20211109_125838.thumb.jpg.8f82a02bc3c69baeee0f7620be4956b3.jpg

20211109_125819.thumb.jpg.3051a0fe2d1a6546865b0e3623d27d8f.jpg

20211109_125856.thumb.jpg.ff320df63928ad2bfcff2bb033457e4e.jpg

As long as there is good structure there to lift from and your wrecker has the reach, go for it. I have seen guys "sling" a rollback from the trucks wheel lift...that I wouldn't do...

• Like 2

I have towed quite a few from the rear as well. I have never lifted any from the same spot that Ed's has pictured there, but I have lifted some from the stabilizer feet in the back. I am not saying that is the better way thought, as not all rollbacks are created equal there. I like the looks of where Ed is lifting his better then some of the ones I did already. Our dealer where we bought our rollbacks from said they tow the Miller rollbacks from the stabilizer feet when they tow them. But some of the other brands You have to be careful what you are picking up on those. And like Ed said I would not recommend to pick them from the wheel lift.  And I can tell you the stabilizer stands in the back of our Century & Chevron carriers are definitely a lot heavier built then some of the older Jerdan's, but that could be different for the newer models I'm not sure. Also to pick up the Miller carriers I think I usually use the Miller biggest fork I have, which I think is a 6". 

• Like 1

I have both Miller and Jerrdan rollbacks. They are fairly late model my oldest is a 15. I have a 2465 bed. I don't believe I have enough reach to pick it like Ed. I agree its a heavier spot to pick it from. Are those 4x4 carriers you are towing from the rear? I would think I would have to pull a front shaft on our rams since there are no lockouts. I will need different forks for sure. 

The Jerr-Dans can be towed from the rear legs if you don't have the reach. I did many like this with my 12 ton Cougar. I recommend inspecting the legs carefully for cracks though. Also the carriage bolts that attach them sometimes rot off but the head will still be there in the hole. Just make sure it's got integrity before you lift from it. 

Tk9.5.thumb.png.89a38614ee217cc41a09d6cfbdbe143c.png

Tk9.8.thumb.png.bfef3595b20c2a9f0d896f8edecbb923.png

On a smaller chassis, this probably wouldn't be a good idea. This F650 thought it was the biggest truck in the barn and handled exceptionally well. As for the 4wd...as long as you have the transmission in park & it rolls (in 2wd) I wouldn't see it as a problem.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Derlyn Z said:

I like the looks of where Ed is lifting his better then some of the ones I did already

On the Jerr-Dan, this is a large, solid crossmember in the sub frame and the forks fit right in it...like it was made for it...LoL. But you obviously need a heavy to have the reach to lift it there.

• Like 2