Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 04.07.23 (OH) "Updated 02.23.24"

Sheriff's Office: 3 dead after Friday night crash in Anderson Township

COLDSTREAM, Ohio —

A violent crash in Anderson Township shut down the highway for hours on Friday night.

The crash happened on I-275 East near the 5-Mile Road and New Richmond exits around 9:30 p.m.

The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office confirmed three people have died in the crash.

The names of the victims have not been released at this time.

WLWT has learned that one of the people killed was a driver for AAA in Cincinnati, according to AAA spokesperson, Kara Hitchens.

"The AAA family is deeply saddened by the deaths of three people in a multi-vehicle crash last night, including one of our own," a statement from AAA read.

Hitchens said the employee was preparing to lead a AAA member's vehicle on the back of a tow truck on I-275 when he was hit by a vehicle and killed.

RESOURCE LINK

Keith Skaggs, Cincinnati, Oh. Tow Truck Operator, Driver at AAA Club Alliance

276106674_10225512108816823_4151137544823531719_n.jpg279696499_10225733892441275_6067948990409776832_n.jpg277815574_10225590200489066_7674747778696998485_n.jpg

9658360502885686029.jpg

Fiance remembers AAA worker killed in triple fatal Anderson Township crash

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - The fiance of one of the three victims killed in a crash Friday night in Anderson Township says she thought it was a nightmare.

The crash happened shortly after 9:30 p.m. near the Five Mile Road and New Richmond exits and closed all eastbound lanes of Interstate 275 in Anderson Township, the sheriff’s office said.

A spokesperson for AAA says Keith Skaggs, 37, was getting ready to load a AAA member’s vehicle onto the back of his tow truck when he was struck.

His fiance, Karen Helton, recalls what was going through her mind when she got the call about the accident.

“Honestly, I thought it was a nightmare like I’m still waiting to wake up from this horrible nightmare,” she said.

Skaggs and Helton got engaged in September and planned to marry on July 1 this year.

Helton says she’s still trying to wrap her mind around the unimaginable. She says she “keeps believing in faith that God called him home for a reason.”

Helton still looks forward to the early morning messages she used to receive, like “Good morning, beautiful, have a great day.”

“Our talks, our video calls on my lunch break...it’s gonna be hard not to do that anymore,” Helton said.

Recalling the events prior to the accident, it was a typical day that she wishes she could have again.

“Just never miss a hug, don’t take those hugs for granted...I ate lunch with him on Friday before he went to work - he came to my office and we ate lunch and that was my final hug and final kiss from him.... what I would do for one more,” Helton said.

As a man of faith, Helton says that her fiance was a man of faith who kept God as his number one priority and made sure that he was always doing the Lord’s work.

She also said that if it weren’t for him, she doesn’t know where she would be.

“‘He wanted the best of everybody; he found me at a dark part of my life and brought me back to God,” Helton shared. “As I said earlier, it’s almost like God brought us together for a reason and it tears me apart he’s not here, but he’s dancing on those golden floors of heaven with his brother.”

Helton says she spent Easter Sunday with Skaggs’ family and they started planning his services for the week.

The other victims in the crash have not been named as the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office says they are still notifying family members.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please click here to report it and include the headline of the story in your email.

Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send it to us here with a brief description.

RESOURCE LINK including news video

RESOURCE LINK

Three people were killed in a crash on I-275 in Anderson Township on April 7. Officials said a man was driving his Dodge pickup truck eastbound on I-275 at "a high rate of speed and without lights on" when he hit a vehicle that had stopped to help a disabled car in the emergency lane just past the New Richmond exit at around 9:30 p.m. Friday. That vehicle then ran into the disabled car, which struck a tow truck driver who was outside his vehicle helping the disabled car. The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office said 38-year-old Keith Skaggs of Harrison was the AAA tow truck driver struck and killed in the crash. Richard Glaser, 66, and Janaya Glover, 22, of Cincinnati were also killed. The coroner said Glover was not in a vehicle at the time of the crash. It is unclear which vehicle Glaser was in at the time of the crash.

Click Here For News Video

b666837a-aa45-4de0-a62c-0f9f76c05766-large16x9_Image007.jpeg

Loved ones remember tow truck driver killed in Anderson Township I-275 crash

ANDERSON TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WKRC) - The identities of three people killed in an Anderson Township crash on I-275 EB Friday have been released.

According to investigators, a chain reaction started when a pickup truck speeding with its headlights off lost control.

AAA tow truck driver Keith Skaggs, 38, was preparing to load a member's car when the pickup, which 911 callers described as "driving erratically and way too fast," struck another vehicle.

Deputies say the vehicle hit by the pickup was occupied, and had stopped to assist the driver whose car Skaggs was towing.

ad998703-10e2-4009-bee1-5fff9a1142a1-Image.jpeg70fb266e-2599-4c36-8fa7-8bbb50b54884-Image.jpeg

That vehicle was pushed into the disabled car, which then struck Skaggs, who was standing outside his truck.

RESOURCE LINK

Todd Leiss Reported:

United States Emergency Responder Struck-By Death #10 of 2023 is

Keith Skaggs, 37 at AAA Tow Truck Operator from Cincinnati, Ohio.

340267211_608318664226788_3535017280823640047_n.jpg

Obituary: Keith Andrew Skaggs 1984 -2023

Skaggs, Keith Andrew age 38, of Harrison, Ohio passed away on Friday, April 7, 2023. He was born in Hamilton, Ohio on December 11, 1984 to Tom Skaggs and Sue Skaggs (nee Gibbs).

He was preceded in death by his brother, Kevin Russell Skaggs. Keith is survived by his loving parents, Tom Skaggs and Sue Skaggs; beloved fiance, Karen Helton; grandfather, Haskel E. Gibbs; many loving aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.

Keith was a people person. He was extremely caring and enjoyed spending time with his family. Keith enjoyed trucks, motorcycles, hunting, and camping. He was very patriotic and devoted to his church, Southland Baptist. He loved country music, especially Alan Jackson and southern gospel.

In loving memory of Keith, contributions may be made to his family, c/o Southland Baptist Church, 2485 Springdale Road, Cincinnati, OH 45231. Funeral Ceremony will be 12:00 pm Friday, April 14, 2023 with a visitation from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm at Southland Baptist Church, 2485 Springdale Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45231. Interment to immediately follow at Miamitown Cemetery.

RESOURCE LINK

Notice from TRAO:

Candlelight Vigil: Wednesday April 12, 7:30PM

TRAO Region 8 Director, Terry brown, would like to invite everyone to a candlelight vigil on Wednesday April 12th, 7:30 pm, at

AAA FLEET GARAGE @ 800 West 5th Street Cincinnati, OH 45203. This vigil is to remember our fallen brother, Keith Skaggs and victims related to this horrible tragedy on Friday, April 7th. The accident was in Anderson Township on State Hwy 275 near Five Mile Road and New Richmond Exits. Please join us in remembering our heroes. Lights and candles @ dark.

Any question contact Terry Brown 1-513-903-6493

We appreciate your time and support.

Apr 12, 2023

Dozens of AAA employees gathered in Cincinnati Wednesday night to remember Keith Skaggs, a tow truck driver who was killed while helping a stranded driver on the interstate. Two other people were killed in the crash. Their families were also in attendance at the vigil.

https://local12.com/news/local/tow-truck-drivers-unite-to-honor-aaa-driver-killed-on-job-fatal-crash-accident-i275-interstate-275-triple-a-towing-driving-highway-cincinnati-ohio#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-wZ0l1OBw

Sheriff: 1 of 3 people killed in Anderson Twp. wreck was good Samaritan

One of three people killed in a wreck in Anderson Township was a “good Samaritan” who pulled over on Interstate 275 to help with a disabled vehicle driven by a family friend.

That’s according to newly available Hamilton County court records in the case against 29-year-old Andrew Blankenship of Cold Spring. He is accused of causing the April 7 wreck that also involved a tow truck.

The records filed by the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office identify 66-year-old Richard Glaser of Eastgate as the good Samaritan. An obituary says he is survived by a wife and two children.

They also reveal previously unreported facts about the wreck that claimed the lives of 38-year-old tow truck driver Keith Skaggs of Harrison and 22-year-old Janaya Glover, as well. Glover’s 25-year-old brother, John Glover, was seriously injured.

One of the newly revealed facts: four – not three – vehicles were at the scene of the wreck on eastbound I-275 near the Five Mile Road and New Richmond exits.

And three – not two – people were standing outside vehicles when they were struck.

Blankenship is being held on an $800,000 bond in the Hamilton County Justice Center on three counts of aggravated vehicular homicide and one count of vehicular assault.

Witnesses describe dangerous driving

Multiple witnesses said that before the wreck, Blankenship was driving a Dodge Dakota pickup truck at a high rate of speed with no headlights or taillights, court records show.

He was weaving in and out of traffic and passing other vehicles on the shoulders of the highway, witnesses said.

The records say Blankenship was driving onto the right shoulder of the interstate when he struck three stopped vehicles, including the tow truck and a disabled vehicle that had been carrying the Glovers.

The Glovers and Skaggs were standing on the shoulder of the highway as Skaggs loaded the disabled vehicle onto his tow truck.

Glaser was seated in a vehicle, having pulled over to help the Glovers. He was a friend of Janaya Glover, who had a 2-year-old son.

The obituary for Glaser said he was a facilities director at Thriftway and then Remke Markets before he retired in 2019.

Skaggs was engaged to be married.

Meanwhile, Blankenship’s next court appearance is Monday, April 24.

RESOURCE LINK

Family, friends celebrate life of mother hit and killed in Anderson Township

MOUNT HEALTHY, Ohio (WXIX) - Dozens of family and friends gathered at a vigil in Mount Healthy to honor one of the three victims killed earlier this month in an Anderson Township crash.

Janaya Glover, 22, was killed in a crash on April 7 at Five Mile Road and New Richmond exits.

Janaya’s family called this the final send-off for the young mother, who was killed along with Richard Glaser, who was a family friend, and AAA tow truck driver, Keith Skaggs.

“I wish, wish she wasn’t taken too soon, but she is our angel watching over us,” said Lucretia Hyman, Janaya’s mother.

Prayers, songs and balloons brought Janaya’s family and friends together at Friends Bar and Grill Tuesday evening. Some drove more than seven and a half hours for the memorial.

“We weren’t blood, but that was our sister,” Janaya’s friend, Kiara Sales said.

“It doesn’t seem real. Even after the funeral, it’s just hard to believe that someone that pure could be gone so soon,” said Kalia Rodgriguez, who was also a friend of Janaya’s.

Nick Pickett shares his two-year-old son Avery with Janaya and said the two were together for seven years.

RESOURCE LINK

• 10 months later...
  • TowForce changed the title to Tower Down - 04.07.23 (OH) "Updated 02.23.24"
  • TowForce featured this topic
  • TowForce unfeatured this topic