Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

U Joint Press

Thanks! From the prices that I could get it seemed like the tiger tools was a little cheaper in price than the OTC.

IMG_20230220_154759_858.thumb.jpg.0dc9e8a7f2735420a0d3e90e7d785e70.jpg

I was wondering about the smaller tool, because the other day I had a Isuzu box truck that had a broken tie rod. (I usually try to hook them from the rear otherwise) And when I went to pull the shaft I thought it looked like one of those shafts with a 4 bolt flange, and I will just take those bolts off and go. But when I pulled the shaft off gear oil wanted to come out from the differential. And I was just wondering if the Heavy Duty U-Joint puller would have worked on this shaft? Or maybe there is a better way to do it rather than popping the U-Joint out?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Derlyn Z said:

But when I pulled the shaft off gear oil wanted to come out from the differential.

If anything you found a future problem with the truck...being the oil is wicking up the shaft splines & accumulating in the yoke. It's a good possibility that the pinion nut is loose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What type of truck was it?
Gear oil in the pinion flange is a common issue on Isuzu/GM W series trucks, it happens due to a improperly or clogged differential vent, only a minimal amount of oil is in the flange & it will not drain the differential. 

• Thanks 1

Yes I saw it on a Isuzu truck, set up right like in the one I have pictured. So you are saying that it most likely was leaking oil from the differential, and you would usually take them apart at that 4 bolt flange? That is interesting, that was the first time I saw that, and when I pulled it apart, oil started coming out, I don't know much about all the axle and driveline setups yet and I figured maybe that when you take the flange apart it might go right into the differential or something like that. Thanks for you help guys!

• Like 1