Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Next Project, update our service truck

I found this 1990 F350 with a 5.8 gas motor, only 27,000 original miles on it.  The truck is really solid for the year and the price was right.  This should be a tank in the snow and has plenty of storage.  We are currently running a Chevy 1500 with a service cap on it and an S10 with a service cap for service work.  This will eventually replace the 1500, I like the S10 for fuel mileage on the simple calls but when I need tools I want something more useful than the 1500.

I have a few ideas of what I want to do with it to make a new service truck for us.  I am also going to mount a front winch, compressor and generator.  Maybe this time I will remember to take pictures as we get going on it.

I like this old iron and no emissions to speak of.

May be an image of outdoors

• Like 3

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

We got some time this week.  We took an old shop press that I had bent a year or so ago.  It worked perfect to make brackets for extending the frame on the front to mount the winch.  Ran an extra support to tie it into the frame rail.  Not really the project I was planning on starting with but once we got looking at it we just did it while we had the time.

IMG_20211015_094302830_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211015_124157108.jpg

IMG_20211016_130628533.jpg

• Like 1

That came out good! Should be plenty strong enough & good use of what's lying around...

We upgraded a bumper on the back of my crash truck. We wanted a stronger trailer hitch then it was equipped with...

20211013-16203.thumb.jpg.a51e22212f75bd5cf68b4a2068143fbd.jpg

It's down in the body shop to get painted Monday.

• Like 1

We are going to add a hitch  on the back of this as well that will double as a step.  I am getting more ideas as we get looking at this.  I am ordering another set of magnets, this will need to be a work in progress while we use it.  I need to get the fuel gauge fixed next, I see me running out of fuel if I don't, between the three of us that will drive it, it will be me!  

We have it just about all buffed out.  The paint was oxidized pretty good but it came back well enough that I wont have to paint it, we may put more lettering on it than I normally would.  Had a young kid I was paying 15 an hour to buff it with a machine,  he quit, he didn't like it.  

On 10/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, Stubborn66 said:

I need to get the fuel gauge fixed next, I see me running out of fuel if I don't, between the three of us that will drive it, it will be me! 

A few months ago we refurbished a 95 F450 for a customer. Had a problem with the rear tank fuel gauge & couldn't get the correct sender anymore. This truck was a 7.3 Powerstroke. We could get one that was similar so we had to use the old hanger & float arm but used the new float ball & Potentiometer on it. Re-soldered the wires and everything worked perfectly.

20210625_103714.thumb.jpg.0de9a04cdb7af1a20a0c11bf900ae5c8.jpg

Just a thought if you can't find the right parts for it. We work on a lot of these and it's getting harder all the time for availability.

It is coming along Nicely !!! Looking like she will earn her keep easily when it is ready to roll.

I always find it funny that some of the most popular vehicles out there are usually the ones you cant source parts for.

It doesnt really get any more popular than a 90's F-series Ford.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I actually ran in the other night, it runs real good.

I can get the pump/ sending unit I need for this one.  I thought they made an optional bigger tank for these and that I cannot find.  This has a single 18 or 19 gallon tank on it and I would like to get a bigger one on it.  

This will be a money maker for sure, I could have done half the Amazons last winter with this truck

• Like 1

I finally made it up to Ed's today and met him and his son, they have a nice operation there and I wish I could keep my trucks as clean.  I bought the compressor he had, it will work out well for us, it even has electric start!  I actually got a call on the way home and did a tire change LOL but I dont like working along the road with just four way flashers so the lights will be the priority this weekend

I have an electric start generator coming in with my son this weekend and he will get to work on wiring.  I was able to get most of the lights mounted but have not had time to work on wiring.

Hopefully some pictures as we go this weekend 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We have made some progress on this truck while using it.  We got the lights installed on all the compartments, lighting on front and back.  Mounted the air compressor I got from Ed and a generator I had here.

We have more to do but so far this seems to be working well.  I have used it on multiple winch outs and it pulls well.  I am getting close to 10K in weight which will help for winching but it likes gas!  The last picture is of one of the winch outs.  I put it in 4wd, low range and it sat still, I was impressed.  The drive way was narrow and I would have beat up the mirrors on the wrecker to get back in there.

I need to figure out a few more things and get it lettered.

IMG_20211106_211523116.jpg

IMG_20211031_093255005_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211031_173107759.jpg

IMG_20211102_093017363.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good !!

I figured being a gas jobby, she would pass everything but gas stations for you.. LOL

Do you have a Mico-lock system on it or are you just using the park brake system on your winch outs? 

I had a Mico-lock on just the rear brakes of my old wrecker and by putting the truck in 4wd, it would hold the front wheels through the locked together driveline as well. Really helped a lot on those hard pulls. I used to call it my "red neck winching brake" 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I am getting about 9mpg, but it does a lot of idling.  When you figure gas is .50 cheaper than diesel it's not too bad.  I have to get that gauge fixed though LOL.  I am finding that they made the bigger tank right up until they went fuel injected and put the pump in the tank.  I could make something up but I don't want to take the time. I am keeping track of the mileage and carrying an extra 5 gallon can for extra weight😀

I am using the parking brake and locking it in 4wd drive low range to keep pressure off the parking pawl in the transmission.  I am happy with how well it sits still.  I actually had an idea to make "kick stand" stiff legs for under the front bumper similar to what I saw you did for your 4 wheeler but I don't think I am going to need them.

I did an Amazon with it and the driver, the genius who got it stuck, told me I couldn't get him out with this truck.   I love it when someone tells me I cant do something!

red neck kinda of describes me  LOL

• Like 2