Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

People don't quit jobs, they quit management.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I took the role, my parents hired a manager. Needless to say that didn't end well at all. I'm not saying that there aren't any good managers in towing. Just that I believe they are rare and most do not last long anywhere.

What has everyone else's experience been, have you been able to maintain a manger that is more on the management and support side. Seems other companies use their managers more as drivers/tow ops than anything and the owners do more employee management. Now. that is likely in part to always hiring when we do not have as large a turn over of employees. Thoughts?

• 1 year later...

You have to distinguish between the role of a leader vs. the role of a manager. A manager in one setting is a dispatcher. They are a facilitator, decisionmaker, enforcer. They literally tell people where to go. A lead driver keeps up with the trucks, their maintenance, and to a degree, promotes safety. A leader has the big picture on the horizon and gets everyone to do the buy in. They should be constantly promoting safety. They should be constantly promoting that the client is the real "boss" of the company. Without the client, all we have is yard full of pig iron and plastic. We have too many managers out of their lane, functioning or delegating as leaders. There is no gray area between a leader and a manager. A good leader is generally a good manager who has elevated and honed his or her skills. A good manager must do the same to rise and aspire to the level of leadership. It is an entirely new level. 

Edited by goodmichael
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

May I add, a solid leader/manager, "Leads by example." They don’t hide behind their desks, but they'll jump in and out of the same trenches as the others with actions (and words) that help build team spirit. They have their fingers on the pulse of administrations and operations, but not to the point they lose focus on each individual employee. Employees are valuable assets not to be thought of just as a number on the roster. Solid managerial traits are; commitment, empathy, understanding and tact; while being able to mold his/her personnel in a direction that best suits the company’s mission and goals. When faced with personnel issues, they look to identify root causes and evaluate if retraining, discipline, or change in operations was necessary. They must be effective problem solvers. I believe management should demand a high-level of accountability that challenges team players to be the best they can be. Employees should be rewarded through periodic evaluations, chance of advancement, reward programs, the promise of long-term careers, and most importantly, being treated fairly and with respect. And, in that, I’ve discovered these kinds of actions help retain a, “Varsity Team.” It might sound a might hokey, but leadership in this manner has always worked for me.    R.

• Like 3

Randall C. Resch

I am going through an issue currently where my employer wants me to run a three car hauler overweight. I never received any formal training on loading, unloading, weight distribution, 3 points of contact, or anything safety related. I am preparing a guide to provide and assist the next person to jump in the seat. Management as well as leadership simply does not care. And I am through with them. 

• Like 1