Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

The dreaded RED TAG...

A local construction company I do a lot of towing for called me the other day for one of their dump trailers. He was pulled in for a D.O.T. inspection and the wagon failed for no break-away system, insufficient safety chains and some inoperative lights. The D.O.T officer told him to have it repaired on site or have it towed. Pretty simple deal for me really. Just threw my ball hitch and wireless tag light on and away we went to the repair shop.  

IMG_0761.jpg

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I did in fact use my safety chains on it as well as my wireless tag light. I do carry a 4-way to 7 way adapter to just plug into the trailer but half the reason it was red tagged was all but one rear light was out or missing entirely.

I dont run my beacons at all while driving no matter what I am hauling. Never have, never will.  

• Like 2

While I of course prefer not to run the beacons in tow. There have been times when moving a hazardous or wide load that the beacons were appropriate. I do not carry wide load signage. I do use safety chains or a chain to the wheel lift on trailers, I rarely ever find a trailer which has working lights and I do not carry adapters for them.

one thing to remember if at all possible ........... NEVER GO IN A ACTIVE DOT CHECK FOR A TOW  .......... you might be the next victim .

i have towed a lot of trailers . always made sure i had all 3 ball sizes . saved a lot of people extra b/s when tow rig was dead . i would roll up load it on the bed and hook the trailer and away i went .

i just dont get WHY tow trucks dont get 7pin round plugs when they know were going to tow a trailer now and then . these 1950's round 4 pin are so out dated .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

26 minutes ago, sweetk30 said:

one thing to remember if at all possible ........... NEVER GO IN A ACTIVE DOT CHECK FOR A TOW  .......... you might be the next victim .

i have towed a lot of trailers . always made sure i had all 3 ball sizes . saved a lot of people extra b/s when tow rig was dead . i would roll up load it on the bed and hook the trailer and away i went .

i just dont get WHY tow trucks dont get 7pin round plugs when they know were going to tow a trailer now and then . these 1950's round 4 pin are so out dated .

Around me the truck unit troopers don't bother us when we're there picking up an out of service truck. It could be because we tow their troop cars but I'm not complaining lol.

in my area the last few years it dont matter who you are . . . there messing with ALL tow trucks for even stupid stuff .

but i can see why . in the many years as a mechanic and then tow guy i saw a LOT of scary stuff and didnt like it .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

5 hours ago, sweetk30 said:

Lol. I am not worried about it. My rigs are legit and very well maintained. They can look all they want. They wont find anything. It will only cost me some time.

I have never been inspected while responding to tow one out of their area. They usually leave us alone Especially when they need us to get the O.O.S. ones out of the way for the next "victims"