Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Talk About It Series #1

Pic of the windshield to see if they have a valid placard displayed?  Only then can I pass judgement. : )

I know wrecker drivers that apparently qualify as handicapped, placards on their personal vehicles, so I won't assume just because one may be handicapped that they can't do roadside assistance.  Beyond that, it's not up to me to judge whether someone is handicapped or they're giving a ride to someone that is handicapped...only to determine whether they're displaying proper credentials to take up the space I'm considering towing them out of.

Richard

From a Tow boss's Perspective, I can see how using a Corolla for light service call work would be economical. But, from a customers view, I am not sure how I would feel if a company showed up to do my road service in a vehicle like that. Lol

As far as it being parked in a Handi-capped space, If he has the proper credentials to do so then so be it. I have never been one to judge whether someone is worthy of a handicap placard or not. I personally carry one on my wife's behalf because of her disability. I cant recall ever using it while in the tow truck, But I suppose if I was rocking a Corolla road service vehicle I would. LOL

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

There were some guys around here running a road service outfit with their employees' personal cars.  It looked shady as you can imagine.  Several of the cars looked more like cars that would need road service, rather than provide it.  Haven't seen them around for a few years now; assuming they petered out.

As far as handicap tows go, I am 50/50 on them.  It is my all-time favorite violation to load, because (just about) everyone hates seeing someone take a handicap space that shouldn't be parked there.  However, I'm also nervous of towing someone that might be handicapped but just forgot to hang up their placard.

Fortunately, since I'm doing PPI in mostly residential properties, I can spot my "regulars" and have a pretty good memory for vehicles that I see repeatedly parked in certain spots, and whether they had their placard.  Every now and then I'll see those cars with the placard not displayed.  It may be stuck in their visor, or possibly in the door pocket, etc.  I gladly give them a pass, because I remember their car.

Everyone else - gets the hook!

Richard

We have a guy running around here doing road service in a car and apparently has a Google ad to get business.  He has a magnetic light on his car and carries tools in his trunk, cash only.  I found this out when he stripped the lugs off a car and I ended up towing it back to the shop to fix it.  I looked for the Google ad and could not find it.

We also had a customer at the shop who locked their keys in their car and they called AAA to get it unlocked ( I wont do lock outs) and the AAA guy showed up in his personal car without any markings on it.

I have a pick up that I use for road service to save running the bigger trucks but I don't think it's very professional to use a car, especially if it is not well marked and has proper lighting.

As far as the picture, if it didn't have the proper handicap placard displayed, then it should be a candidate to be towed in my opinion.  I don't do that kind of tow so I am not well versed in the laws

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

I got to chatting with my wife in regards to this subject and she reminded me of these 2 brothers who years back started up their own "towing and road service" business in town. They took out ads in the papers, put out flyers, you name it. Turns out their "Tow Truck" was a crusty old s-10 pickup with a tow dolly and a hand crank boat winch attached to the front of it for those Non-running cars of course. After a few months, it was apparent that their "Towing" business just wasnt cutting the mustard..I cant believe I actually forgot about those clowns. Last I heard, one of them was in the slammer and the other was gainfully employed in the local fast food industry.. I Wonder what ever became of their Tow rig??...

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Grumps, I get a nephew making $15.00 an hour at Mickey D's.     

I dont know if this guy is still around in our area, been about a year or so since I fixed that car.  He had knocked the chrome caps off two of the lugs as I recall and proceeded to make a mess of what was left.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...