Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Which Skates

Ken

No slamming companies here just looking at suggestions so today I was using ITI skates to get a Mercedes (no override) off my bed after using soap, PB etc... thing would not move. I then snatch blocked it and got it off that way but was wondering if investing in new skates are worth it. I have been looking at WreckMaster but would like more opinions. 

I personally prefer the wreckmaster skates, they seem to be more forgiving and flexible than other brands I have tried so they dont get tore up as much. They also seem to get real slick easilly with a lil Wd-40. I know they are a bit pricey and it is probably all in the name but I just feel they work better than the other brands. The ability to interlock two or more together is a great thing too.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I prefer the WreckMaster skates as well.  We carry them on every vehicle in the fleet light to heavy to service trucks. 

The ability to interlock them.  The ability to invert and make a ramp, brake rotor notch, to name a few specifics.  We slide cargo with them, use them for ramps with tool boxes, wedges when inserting cribbing,  access under cargo or trailers, the list can go on and on.

All skates have a duty cycle.  They won't last forever, so i recommend invoicing for skates and you will not have to worry about the purchase price of skates any longer.  No matter what brand you choose.

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

Unless you outright abuse them (which I occasionally do), the WreckMaster skates will last a lot longer than you'd think.  They're worth the money.  I use them to pull cars out of tight spots against curbs when I can't get in with go-jaks or dollies, and that's often pulling them a few feet across rough concrete or bad asphalt.  They've held up quite well and I've only bought a few sets over the years.

Richard

Grumps, that's about what my last set looked like!  A good friend and former co-worker gifted me a brand new set a couple years back (I think simply as gratitude for showing him the true usefulness of skates when doing PPI's) so I gave my old set to another co-worker who was just starting out.  They came in handy shortly afterwards when he had a brand new Escalade parked on moon rock sealed asphalt, steering cut and locked so that it would immediately roll into the vehicle parked next to it.  He called me and said, "What do I do?" Told him, "Lift it from the back, strap the tires, and get those skates! Pull it straight out and keep going until you have room to flip around and grab it from the front, then throw your dollies on the rear."  It came out of the spot like magic.  : )

The only downside I see to the design is once they get chewed up, it becomes difficult to snap them together for a wide skate.  The way I use them is just on 2 tires at a time, so I try to keep them snapped together as 2 wide ones all the time.  Every now and then I'll break them apart for various reasons like cribbing up slammed cars in conjunction with go-jaks, to make clearance for getting the dolly bars under.

Richard

Edited by someotherplace

Thanks Richard, They are certainly worth the price and the possibilities are endless with a little common sense and a well thought out plan. 

I too have had issues snapping them together after they get worn down a bit. I have taken a quick hand file the the teeth and cleaned out the grooves with a sharp knife here and there to help ease locking them together as they wear. The one I am holding in the pic is one of my oldest pairs and they are about 5 or 6 years old. As you can see they are very sun faded from riding on the headache rack of my old truck. The other pair in the pic ( in the tool box )are about 3 years old. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE