Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Customers and "Release Area Comfort"

rreschran

With all of the violence and political uncertaintity that exists, here's a laughable topic that comes from the, "Who Cares", file.

A car was lawfully impounded by a police agency and was towed by a large, southern California tow company; one with an outstanding reputation. The tow company recently fell under scrutiny when a vehicle's owner WASN'T provided reasonable comfort, or, access to reasonable comfort in vehicle release areas. The complaint was the result of a vehicle owner coming to the place of business and there was no seating for the vehicle owner's pregnant wife as they waited to pick up their vehicle from impound.

While I'm pretty familiar with the workings and requirements of city and state tow contracts and RFPs, I don't recall a requirment for tow business to provide available seating or other fundamentals like; a walk-up counter, a drinking fountain, inside heating, a covered entry, magazines, or, even access to a toilet.

At one time, my businesses "release area:, included all of the these things until customers became increasingly stupid, over-aggressive and violent, but were ultimately upgraded to meet employee and facility safety. Think about your businesses release area and consider, do you think towing businesses should be accountable in providing these kinds of accoutrements?  R.

Randall C. Resch

A good portion of our repair work are travelers coming to the beach who have no other option but to wait at our shop for the repairs to be made to their car. Because of this we have chairs in our front office along with a tv, coffee maker, water cooler, soda and candy machine. Our waiting area isn't the greatest or most comfortable, but with the limited space we had it's not too bad. As far as impound releases, provided you show up to get your car with the proper release forms and money your wait won't ever be line than 5 minutes. Add to that you can always wait in your car until we bring the impounded vehicle up front and there should be no issue being comfortable in the limited time you spend with us.

• Like 1

My impound lot is a remote location that I rent downtown. It is located behind a repair shop so I dont have any office space or anything there. ( I have considered putting a office trailer or old camper in there ) I meet my customers at the gate and handle business out of the cab of my truck. I clearly explain what the customer needs with them when they call to inquire how they can retrieve their vehicles and the process only takes a couple minutes. All the companies here have remote yards so It is common knowledge for the locals to call and schedule a time to meet.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I think your's Grumps is kind of the norm for tow companies, especially when they're rural or one-owner. I guess there's an entitlement with customers who think that tow companies must provide seating, magazines, a restroom and refreshments. I understand Dave's set-up being he has a repair business that supports his tow operation (or visa versa). When I saw the complaint, the complainant was ripping the tow company on a half a dozen things. But, in all reality, the complainant's car was impounded by the police. He even filed a complaint against the officer impounding his car. Next time, perhaps they should park where it's legal and not a tow-away zone.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

It would appear that this particular person is going to pull at every straw they can to attempt to make them feel like they have "won" persay. I have had my fair share of those types. They screw up, park illegally or whatnot, get towed then do all they can to deflect the fact that they were in the wrong. Because of my "satellite" storage yard as I call it, I have been accused of running a shady business, a scam yada yada. Problem for them is That I have made sure that I am following the city, county and state law to a T in regards to how I conduct my storage yard. ( Insurance, Lighting, Signage etc.. ) There is nothing there that requires me to provide them with any sort of amenities Nor do I even have to release any vehicles after 5pm unless I want to. ( I usually do, Unless they are real MnFer's )

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

At most of the lots I drop cars at, you do business at a window/drawer arrangement similar to a convenience store in a bad neighborhood!  Many of these windows outside, with just barely an awning to keep you out of the rain.  Reasonable comfort???  Gotta be kidding me...but I believe it, it does indeed sound like Kalifornia.  First pic is a lot I drop at frequently.  Second is one I hope to never drop at again..........

Richard

storage1.png

storage2.png

Edited by someotherplace
  • Like 1