Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Advice on rolloff length

So I am looking at getting light duty (under 26,000 pound) rolloff. Mostly going to be using it for picking up cars to and from auctions and picking up disabled, not necessarily crashed vehicles. Have mostly narrowed it down to International 4700 series with the DT466E and a 6 or 7 speed. Looked at some Freightliners and Ford 600-800 series with the 5.9 cummins but I am guessing that they would be underpowered, under load while trying to maintain the high Texas highway speeds. Do not get me wrong, I like the cummins and own two of them in pickup trucks.

I see a variety of bed lengths from 19 to 25 feet. It seems to me that 19 feet is more than enough for most full sized crew cab pickup trucks and anything longer would just make maneuverability more difficult. 

Is there something that I am not considering as far as engines go? FYI I am not considering CAT 3116, 3126 or C7 due to past experience.

Has anyone bought too short or too long of a truck and has some advice?

Thank You.

Texas

There are many many factors involved when deciding on a particular rig. The main thing is what kind of weight do you plan on hauling? If your gonna be hauling mainly civilian auction vehicles, then a 23-26,000# truck would suffice. I would say a 19,500 chassis but you did make mention of hauling duallies and such. That will put you overweight on those chassis with most dually pickups. 

My ideal "auction hauler" would be a aluminum 23' deck, 10,000 winch with a 3,500 wheel lift on a Cummins powered Pete or Kenworth lo-pro chassis.

If your looking at older trucks, The ol 5.9 Cummins I feel would be just fine power wise on open highway. I feel It would lack a bit of power for long hill pulls and tight low speed maneuvers but would still get the job done. I would be looking newer though. I am a big fan of the 6.7 Cummins these days. 

• Thanks 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I have a 95 International 4700lp with a mechanical DT466, 2590GVW.  I love that truck, plenty of power, tight turning radius, No computers, 20foot bed.  I have had 4 door duallys on the bed, as well as some Isuzu cab overs.  Only downside to mine is I don't have a wheel lift to haul the second car.

I would try to stay away from the second generation emissions trucks.  I think from about 2010 to 2015 with no DEF fluid, there are a lot of emissions issues with those trucks.

• Thanks 1

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

• 3 weeks later...

My first rollback was an International 4700 rated at 23000#. 7.3 diesel, and 6 speed, 21 foot aluminum bed. Cabs are far from ergonomic, but they are durable and easy and inexpensive (mostly) to repair. The DT engine would have been my preference, but the 7.3 was fine. Neither will set any land speed records, but the DT is easier to maintain and a lot easier and cheaper to fix/rebuild over time. Truck never let me down, sold it with 580k miles (and using a lot of oil) and still in use in Winnipeg last I heard with 660k miles (and a rebuilt 7.3). I would not go much less than 21 foot bed if you are hauling crew cab dually's, a little extra room is appreciated when they are that long ...

I have had 2 F650's with 5.9's. Again, no land speed records being set, and they are a little low on power when getting on the interstate, but once up to speed they will be fine. Mine were rated at 160 hp or around there. I mostly remember the 5.9 accelerator peddle as an on/off switch, mine were limited at 78 mph, and cruised at 70-75 just fine.

Edited by doingitall

• 4 weeks later...

I wound up getting a 2002 International 4700 with a 19 foot bed. It is a T444E truck with the 5 speed manual. Originally wanted a DT466 but this one was so cheap, low mileage and nice I could not pass it up. I put my 01 cummins ram extended cab long bed on there and it barely fits. You are right in the crew cab not fitting. If mine had a Ranch Hand replacement bumper it would not have been too close for comfort.

20201206_134935.jpg

• Like 1

Texas

Beautiful rig. The 444E's are decent motors. Keep up on your maintenance, and dont beat her up and you will be just fine.

If you are regularly hauling big 3/4-1 ton pickups, Then you may want to consider a bigger truck down the road. One here and there as long as you stay under g.v.w. shouldnt give you any issues with the rig you have.

Good luck with her !!! 

• Thanks 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE