Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

which is better Vulcan 880 or Century 412???

Both are considered 10 ton units and are considerably similar as far as strength really. It would more or less be a matter of preference of operation. One main point is the Vulcan has two seperate hydraulic valve bodies. One controls the wheel lift and the other the boom and winches. Vulcan equipment is super popular here in upstate NY for some reason. Seems like everyone has at least one Vulcan equipped rig. One thing guys claim they like about them is the way the up/down on the wheel lift is angled giving you a couple extra inches of reach when stretching out to hook up. And of course there is the "Strappless L arm grids " that are standard gear for the Vulcans. I have a Vulcan 880 on a 96 International 4300 And it was always a good unit. It has been off the road for a couple years now but when I used it pretty regularly the only thing I really remember being an issue was the control levers and linkage would sieze up and need constant cleaning and service to free them up. This could be caused mainly because i didnt use this truck every day and it sat more than it was used.  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

thanks for the reply/the  century has separate valve bodies too.   a 4 spool and 3 spool. damn caps are broke .     I know exactly what u mean on the vulcan. the boom controls are seized up. there are no grease fittings.How do i lube them up??  i bought in december and the controls were free. now they stuck.  i see shaft collars under neath/

I drilled out the collars and put grease fittings on the Vulcans I had. That helped but wasn't the total answer. I have had two handles break on my new 408 already but that is because they are aluminum. Replaced with stainless steel. But hope they all don't do that, it has a lot of handles!

I like the Vulcans that I had, they seemed like they would pull better than the Century's. I am sure most of it is owner preference.

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

6 hours ago, mooresbp said:

I drilled out the collars and put grease fittings on the Vulcans I had. That helped but wasn't the total answer. I have had two handles break on my new 408 already but that is because they are aluminum. Replaced with stainless steel. But hope they all don't do that, it has a lot of handles!

I like the Vulcans that I had, they seemed like they would pull better than the Century's. I am sure most of it is owner preference.

i did the exact same thing. pulled it all apart, drilled and installed grease fittings in the collars. It certainly isnt the be all fix all but it does prolong them from siezing up when the truck sits a bit. The aluminum handles sadly never last. I broke them all eventually on my old jerr dan hpl and replaced them with the stainless ones. Certainly not a cheap upgrade by any means.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 5 months later...