Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Blocker Trucks - Effective or Not ? ? ?

Another forum shared an article on the use of blocker trucks. I personally support blocker trucks and salute tow companies that use blocker trucks as a means to provide an extra element of safety to their tow operators. It's great to see how tow companies are approaching the huge problem of tow operator strikes and they're making (at least) some attempt to defend against them. Accordingly, I've seen some grat examples of blocker trucks at tow shows, in TowForce forums and currently used in some states as part of FSP or highway service providers. But, too many tow owners balk at costs and liability in using blocker trucks for any reason. So, in that I ask tow companies that use or have blocker trucks the following questions:

1.  In using blocker trucks for safety, what training is provided to blocker truck operators?

2.  If you have a blocker truck and use it with safety in-mind, how do you list and charge for it's use on your towing invoice?

3.  Does your area's highway patrol support using them and approve your rate? 

4.  Do you provide blocker truck support for other tow companies in your area?

5.  Has there been any push-back from vehicle owners or insurance providers to pay blocker truck fees?

Because there's no formal or in-use blocker truck programs, what do you think? I'm sure there are plenty of other questions that could fit into this category and I'd like to hear your ideas. While I've heard the negative comments regarding cost and liability, doing nothing only opens the door for another fatal to happen. At minimum, if it were you parked on a narrow highway shoulder with car's failing to slow-down and move-over, wouldn't you appreciate the presence of a blocker truck?     R.

Randall C. Resch

Let me preface this saying that we don't have any dedicated truck for this task, if you are speaking about a truck with a crash attenuator or something of the sort. But we do equip all of our trucks for traffic control purposes and use them at scenes for the pure purpose of blocking/traffic control with no other duty assigned.

1.  In using blocker trucks for safety, what training is provided to blocker truck operators?

All of our operators have national TIM training certificates.

2.  If you have a blocker truck and use it with safety in-mind, how do you list and charge for it's use on your towing invoice?

Billed as traffic control at $150 /hr.

3.  Does your area's highway patrol support using them and approve your rate? 

Yes, as the highway patrol and DOT resources are limited especially during inclement weather events, this allows them to leave the scene and respond to other calls while we provide our own traffic control.

4.  Do you provide blocker truck support for other tow companies in your area?

If requested. We have a large amount of traffic control devices, cones, signs, ect, available for other companies in the area if they desire.

5.  Has there been any push-back from vehicle owners or insurance providers to pay blocker truck fees?

There will always be push back for any service provided. You just have to sell it to them as a safety item and stand your ground. Would you rather be paying for a funeral or a blocker truck?

20191010_115124.jpg

Edited by Animosus
  • Like 4

LTWBBgK.png.3c1bc13c6e723ef939e6d78eb910f400.png

I have parked myself back behind another towing company working a scene, lights on of course as advanced warning for them if they are in a tricky spot like a the bottom of a hill with a poor line of sight if I just happen to be driving by. And they in turn have returned the favor to me as well. We are not blocking up lanes, just set on the shoulder to get people aware that somethings going on down the road a bit. And I have heard all about whats gonna happen if my truck gets hit doing this, insurance wont cover it and blah blah.. And my response is simple. I will deal with it IF it should ever happen. My truck can be replaced but the life of the operator working 200' in front of me cant be.  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE