Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

This is Training Video in need of a Narrative.

The person who posted this video did include a story. However, I am not going to post their side of the story at this time. If you have read it fine, if not I will make some points following the video.

1) The Van in the Video was wrecked into a ravine.

2) A Police Officer was at the scene and told them either they need to get a tow or the Police would have it towed.

3) Because their preferred Tow Company was not available and the vehicle was at risk of being towed, they contacted another tow company they say was going to go out and give them a quote to recover the vehicle and tow it.

4) They say they were not contacted the company was at the vehicle. When they went to check on the vehicle the company was using a rotator to recover it. They demanded money even though there was no service agreement.

5) In the end they paid the company $300 and the company left the vehicle in the roadway.

You form your own opinion and post it in reply. Seriously this is a good Learning & Training Video.

Here are a few questions to start:

Would any Tow Company respond to an accident scene such as this one based on a phone call?

What would happen were you to find out the owner of the vehicle did not call for service?

Any thought's on the Recovery from what can be seen and how about the Safety Procedures.

So, if I understand correctly, the owner of the van did not call this company ? P.D. did not call this company and the vehicle was left at the crash site by both the police and the owner? If thats the case, then did this company just happen upon it and take it upon themselves to recover the vehicle? If that is the case then it is an Illegal act by the towing co. Here in Ny thats considered soliciting and downright auto theft. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Grumps, the story goes the Tow Company which recovered the Van was called by the vehicle owner.

3) Because their preferred Tow Company was not available and the vehicle was at risk of being towed, they contacted another tow company they say was going to go out and give them a quote to recover the vehicle and tow it.

According to the vehicle owners and those with him. The company was in the process of recovering the van without providing a quote or authorization when they arrived on scene. They had called this tow company, however they had not agreed on the cost of the recovery. The Police did not authorized the recovery & tow.

Would any Tow Company respond to an accident scene such as this one based on a phone call?

What would happen were you to find out the owner of the vehicle did not call for service?

Seriously, what if it were not the vehicles owner that called for the service and you did not have any other authorization for service. While the odds maybe low, as a prank anyone could call a tow company and say they ran their vehicle off the road would you send a tow out before the police tow it and take it to your lot. Every Company I have known have asked 20 questions and given a price based on the information provided which is subject to change. As well, they have gotten some form of payment and/or authorization prior to service being provided.

Keep in mind there are two sides to every story and we have not heard from the towing company.

I wouldnt touch the casualty untill I spoke to someone ( owner or police ) in person. I would respond to the site on a call by customer so long as the customer is going to meet me at the scene. In the past, i have come upon vehicles off the roadway, stopped to see if anyone was inside or saw there was yellow caution tape on the vehicle indicating there is no one in it and continued on my way. It is Illegal around here to just grab a vehicle off the roadway and tow it. it falls under this states predatory towing laws

• 3 weeks later...

Like Ron said ...there's two sides of every story. I question this incident looking at it from the LE side as to whether or not the officer could have done more than simply giving an ultimatum? This is a great example of why tow contracts and formal agreements are created so to not experience these scenarios. It seems that the officer didn't perceive this recovery scene as one that needed immediate response. The results and bantering left much to consider when most motorists hardly ever are involved in something of this magnitude to even know what to do. The officer should have taken additional authority by giving the motorist a time limit as they prepare an accident report (if one's to be made). While a vehicle owner is typically allowed (in most jurisdictions) to request their own tow company or club provider, LE is tasked in choosing an appropriate action based on whether or not public safety is compromised? If this vehicle was off the road and in a ditch causing no great threat to public safety, the urgent need for recovery is easily downgraded. Because it was snowing, I don't think there was much risk of a fire spreading if that were a consideration. Regardless as to whether or not what tow company responded, as the recovery were to commence, the risk of secondary crash is re-initiated because the roadway has been blocked. Hence ... back to square one where a contract or rotation tow company should have been called by LE for plenty of reasons that would have prevented this, "He said, She said", debacle. And, not to impugn this tow company's ability, rotation companies are generally known for their equipment, ability and reputation.

If this is a training video with intent of seeking safety comments, may I submit:

* Due to slippery weather conditions, could this same recovery be better managed and worked in day-light hours? 

* With an expensive rotator on-scene, was the light-duty wrecker really necessary to complete the recovery (raising costs) ?

* Could the same winch-out recovery have been worked with only the light-duty wrecker?

* Too many people were allowed the freedom to walk about a live recovery where a vehicle dangled

* Too many operators were within the dangerous lifting zone

* Is lifting 100-percent of a vehicle's weight by its rims is a questionable practice?

* Do I see (hook) safety clip's missing?

R

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

There was absolutely no need for a rotator on this job. It would seem that this company is one that will roll out the big gun on every call they can just because they have one. There are a couple of companies around here that are like that. Just by looking at the rigging and how they are handling the escalated situation and the recovery scene it is safe to say this is one of those companies that has more money than brains. of course this is just my opinion of whats been presented and there is always the flip side of the story