Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Holmes Model List "needs more details"

Tow411

This list is compiled from an old topic on the Tow411 message board.

Any assistance in the form of replies to complete the list would be appreciated.

Topic was named:

Compiling a list of the different Holmes Wreckers made over the years.

Booms - Single or twin, boxed or skeleton, capacity, manual extension?
Winches - Single or twin, capacity
Bodyies - CA (cab to axle) available, single/tandem
Options - Side outriggers
Years Produced - Approximate duration of production
Anything else that would be of interest

W35 W45 400 440 460 480 500 525 550 600 650 750 850 1701 1801

Mechanical

110 missing details in topic

220 which was a pickup mounted unit with a boom like the 440, except that it had an electric winch on it....

250 missing details in topic

330 missing details in topic
400 Single Line
440 Single line 8 ton boom 8000 winch

440 High Power
460 Twin Line

470 Unknown Model and Details
480 Twin Line (2) 4 ton booms (2) 8000 winches

485 Standard early (20's - 30's) twin boom unit

490 50's unit twin 3 ton booms twin 6000lb winches?
500 Twin Line
515 Twin Line - "Antique"
525 Forerunner to the Holmes 600 the main difference was the mast and how it was structured. On the 525 the booms were mounted half way up the mast like on the 460 & 515.

The 525 has a boom rating of 6 tons each with a pulling capacity of 15 tons. It was designed to fit the 1-1/2 to 2 tons trucks with a 60" to 87" CA. The longer CA service bodies had a tool box ahead of the mast. The 20" drums had a max. capacity of 250" of cable.
550 Twin Line Unknown Model and Details
600 16 ton unit Twin Line Outriggers standard or optional equipment

650 Twin 10 ton booms
750 Twin Line Available Tandem or Single axle
850 Twin Line Tandem Axle
W35 Twin Line - "Antique"
W45 Twin Line - "Antique"

W70, 70 ton mech. twin boom

Hydraulic

475 missing details in topic

475T missing details in topic

515SP - Prototype of 525 with Hydraulic Booms

1200 Hydraulic Update of a 500ish?

1601 aka Python Single 22 ton hydraulic boom twin line twin 16k (20k?) winches
1625 As 1601 (?) but 25 ton

1701 Hydraulic Update of a 750?
1801 Hydraulic Update of a 850?

Others:

Heavy Duty Power Wrecker - like a 485 but stronger mast & PTO driven
Speed King - early 515?
Traffic King - early 525?
5th Wheel Wrecker - hydraulic jib for 5th wheel tractor unit use
Commander (1200?)
Trooper

Here's the listings from Catalog "Q" August 1955.
Model 330 3 ton single Hand or Power Operation.
Model 400 3 ton single Power
Model 460 6 ton dual Power
Model 470 8 ton dual Power
Model 525 12 ton dual Power 15ton possible pull capacity
Model 650 20 ton dual Power 2 speed PTO available
Model 850 30 ton dual Power 2 speed gearing 35ton
possible pull capacity central controls only

Here's the listings from 1971
Model 220 4 ton single Electric
Model 440 4 ton single Power
Model 480 8 ton dual Power
Model 500 10 ton dual Power (both drums have 7/16 x 200
ft. Cables)
Model 600 16 ton dual Power
Model 750 25 ton dual Power
Model 850 40 ton dual Power ground and central controls.

• Like 1

Holmes also built a trailer that was the forerunner to today's rollback. They were built for only about two years and at that only something like 16 were ever built. Today we have one of only two known to still exist. I don't know the model number, though. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 12:51 AM, Guest Pearce said:

Holmes also built a trailer that was the forerunner to today's rollback. They were built for only about two years and at that only something like 16 were ever built. Today we have one of only two known to still exist. I don't know the model number, though. 

Very interested in seeing a picture of your trailer. Can you post it ?

• 3 months later...

515SP. "Antique"The prototype for the 525.  Had power booms.  Our 1st wrecker mounted on a 46 ford f6 84" ca.  If anyone sees it please call would love to have it back.  It was traded in December of 1959. 

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 5 weeks later...

There haven’t been too many hits on this posting, but I’ve spent some time trying to organize the Holmes Models / Features into a spreadsheet. 

The attached is a screen capture of the current - PRELIMINARY - spreadsheet, but clipped a little to make it still viewable as a picture. 

The info is pretty self explanatory. The second column ‘Manual Spec Chk’ indicates models I still have manuals for, to verify the information. There are many I haven’t found yet. 

The Models are listed in numerical Model Number order - NOT in chronological order. 

I intend to add a column to the right that will reference photos of the units, or unique features that identify them.

CONSTRUCTIVE input is appreciated/accepted, as well and any additional specific model specs that you have, AND can also send documentation to support it. 

This forum only seems to allow photos to be attached to postings, so I’m still looking for a way to upload a .pdf of the file (Including supporting photos) to make it easier to view. 

If there is interest, I’ll continue to update it as it is improved - if there is no interest, it will remain as is. 

Paul

84730274-ADD6-464B-8DC8-5AC43F880219.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have one of the trailers...I have seen the unit Pearce have ....and have seen an ad for one more that was for sale.

Most of them have been scrapped due to age.And that is Johnny Grant from Holmes running the controls.

holmestiltbed.jpg

ds 2.jpg

trailer pic wendy.jpg

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

We have one of the trailers...I have seen the unit Pearce have ....and have seen an ad for one more that was for sale.

Most of them have been scrapped due to age.And that is Johnny Grant from Holmes running the controls.

holmestiltbed.jpg

ds 2.jpg

trailer pic wendy.jpg

Thank you. 

Johnny looks a bit younger there. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/29/2019 at 8:07 PM, Pdgx said:

There haven’t been too many hits on this posting, but I’ve spent some time trying to organize the Holmes Models / Features into a spreadsheet. 

The attached is a screen capture of the current - PRELIMINARY - spreadsheet, but clipped a little to make it still viewable as a picture. 

The info is pretty self explanatory. The second column ‘Manual Spec Chk’ indicates models I still have manuals for, to verify the information. There are many I haven’t found yet. 

The Models are listed in numerical Model Number order - NOT in chronological order. 

I intend to add a column to the right that will reference photos of the units, or unique features that identify them.

CONSTRUCTIVE input is appreciated/accepted, as well and any additional specific model specs that you have, AND can also send documentation to support it. 

This forum only seems to allow photos to be attached to postings, so I’m still looking for a way to upload a .pdf of the file (Including supporting photos) to make it easier to view. 

If there is interest, I’ll continue to update it as it is improved - if there is no interest, it will remain as is. 

Paul

84730274-ADD6-464B-8DC8-5AC43F880219.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...