Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

What are you doing to take better care of yourself?

goodmichael

As the title states, the question is about you and your health. I am asking for some input as to what you are doing, personally, to improve your health? I had surgery over the summer, and have started to eat better. It was pretty major surgery, but I am rebounding very well due to diet, sleep, and exercise. I have lost close to thirty pounds, feel better, and it has improved my mental state of health slightly. We are not getting any younger, and I really think that the years in this industry should be factored into one's age similar to dog years. So, I wanted to start the discussion on how we can do a better job of caring for our health. And I want to try to motivate as many as I can to take some positive steps towards better health. You might go for a walk, eat a salad rather tan a belly buster burger, fries, and a coke, you might try to stop smoking, you may smoke less, (A one time 18 years ago, I was smoking 2 packs a day, and quit cold turkey), drink more water, make an effort to get more sleep? What can you do to help yourself improve your health?

Some of you youngsters may think this is BS but when you hit the big 50 be advised, life is going to kick you in the ass and reality will set in. All those hours of missed sleep, meals of processed foods, and hours of missed exercise are adding up on you all, and one day, in the not so distant future, the reality demons will want to cash in.

For those of you who are readers, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Death by Supermarket"  by Nancy Deville.

This is very important, this industry can not survive without healthy talent. And that talent is YOU.

If I help just one person, I have done my part.

• 2 months later...

This is the worst time of year for those battling depression and those who do not even recognize the signs of depression.

Then there is S.A.D. (Seasonal Effective Disorder) many unknowingly suffer in silence. Tow Truck Operators and those who work nights are highly effected. Shorter days cause this disorder that can seem like the person is becoming depressed. Plenty of Vitamin D and Light Therapy are steps that can be taken to avoid serious issues related to SAD. It's real and someone you know is suffering through this Holiday Season. Learn the signs, Recognize the signs, Pay Attention to the signs before it's too late.

Dispatchers who work either in low lighting or florescent lighting are in danger. I find that mid-range LED is better, however no replacement for the proper lighting.

Oh, and seriously cut back on the fast food. Seriously it is Killing you, so just pass it by next time and choose something healthy even if it costs a little more. Those costs will be much smaller in the long run. Drink plenty of water! If you watch the Carbs, it seems the Sugar will control itself. That's just me, because I find it easier to watch Carbs.

DITTO from another Old Man who would not have listened to the Old Men back in the day.

Some of you youngsters may think this is BS but when you hit the big 50 be advised, life is going to kick you in the ass and reality will set in. All those hours of missed sleep, meals of processed foods, and hours of missed exercise are adding up on you all, and one day, in the not so distant future, the reality demons will want to cash in.

Of course Old Men back in the day didn't open up or even know what was causing health problems. They either dealt with it or battled their way through it. This is why there is so much more domestic violence around the Holidays or family members and co-workers seem distance. You can step into your life or theirs before it is too late. If you do nothing else tell them your thinking of them this Holiday Season and stay up with that, before it is too late.

I myself have depression as well as PTSD. I have tried, over the years, numerous "medications" that only took away the little feeling and emotions that I had at the time as we, my treatment team experimented with different meds, dosage, and combinations to get me to my good, safe, place. I found that eating right, exercising, and being "selfish" with my time were far more beneficial to me in the long run. Some of the meds did help me, but most made me worse. They further propelled me into being an introvert. Medications do help people who suffer from the illness, but they are not the magic wand that will release one from their struggles. They are a piece of the puzzle.  

My advice is to be aware and cognizant of those who you interact with on a daily basis. Talk to these people and try to extend an effort in getting to know them. I am not saying to go out and try to be the social butterfly of the world, but at least try to show a little humanity towards the people you interact with on a daily basis. Most people who suffer from mental illness suffer in silence. Hemmingway wrote a poem about a fictional character, I believe, Richard Korrey. Everyone thought Richard Korrey was on the top of the world, but that was not the case. FYI it did not end well for Richard Korrey.

If you have children, take/make the time to build a relationship with them. You can start by putting limits on the time they as well as you spend on social media. Far too many parents do not actively participate in their children's lives. We allow technology and devices to be the parent, and observe from the sideline, then wonder aloud what happened when things go awry. Your children are your most precious asset. Be a participant in their lives, not a spectator.

• 1 month later...

Just a note to comment on just how PATHETIC tow owners are to the topic of PTSD ... at the world's largest tow show in Baltimore November 2018, only 7x persons attended my seminar on PTSD. I guess hiding one's head in the sand isn't important until the issue hits one of your own.      R.

Randall C. Resch

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:29 AM, rreschran said:

Just a note to comment on just how PATHETIC tow owners are to the topic of PTSD ... at the world's largest tow show in Baltimore November 2018, only 7x persons attended my seminar on PTSD. I guess hiding one's head in the sand isn't important until the issue hits one of your own.      R.

Brother, you have to look at it from the perspective that you put your message out to seven people who hopefully will do something to make positive changes. We have to keep beating the drum regarding wellness as well as roadside safety. There is always the opportunity and chance that someone out there will see something you posted and make a change to their daily routine that will save their life. Keep up the fight, and do not let the mean people win.

Archived