Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

How to put valuation on used trucks?

Hello everyone. I have two, possibly three tow trucks I'm looking to list for sale soon but having a hard time determining how to price them. Two are older units with not a ton of value, but one I'm estimating (based of comps on truckpaper) to be around $100k. How does everyone else set their prices? Wreckers are 1999 f450 diesel 4x4 with vulcan 882 and the other is a 2011 f450 v10 2wd with a dynamic autoloader, both lower miles, neither are creampuffs. 

Just to clarify, the $100k truck is a 2017 f650 rollback 51k miles 

Edited by 2000intow

It's tough and the market has changed quite a bit in the last 8-10 months. Trucks were bringing silly money when they couldn't keep up with demand...even shitty trucks. Now it's different...plenty of equipment on the market (new & used), interest rates are stupid high even for great credit ratings...and a lot of guys aren't real busy. You see a lot of older stuff that they are asking big money but I am pretty sure they aren't getting it. I see some dealers advertising trucks with "Only 280,000 miles" like it's a Virgin or something...LoL  Premium trucks, especially heavy's & rotators are still doing good because the new ones have climbed to a point of being ridiculous. My Pete that I have run for 3 years now is probably still worth $100,000 more then I paid for it because a new one is $550,000 - 600,000 for a 35 ton.

1st off the F650. The mileage is low for sure which will help, but that truck wasn't $100,000 when it was new. It's probably 125-150 now new depending on options & equipment. I don't see the 100 number though. Like I said, the mileage will help push the sale but I think you will be down in the 80-85k to move a 7 year old truck. But also, this is without seeing anything so... I just sold my 22 Pete which was a high option truck with 68k on it for $120,000. I paid 108 for it 3 years ago. We put a new set of drives on it for the sale but I was content with that. I feel confident I could of got 130k for it last summer though. And it all sounds great until I looked at the new one we just built that we are in to for over $190k! I don't know where it will end...

The 99 is worth what it is based on condition. It's 25 years old but it drops to a point and then holds as long as it's a useable unit that will pass inspection. These can be worth 15-25 grand depending. A lot of guys look for stuff like this as a back up truck or winter storm truck. The 11 2wd with the Dynamic can be in the same range and maybe more towards 25-35k? Again condition is everything. The 2wd & V-10 would diminish it's value in our area. The V-10 doesn't necessarily bother me but if it's a 2wd, 60"ca regular cab, it isn't going to tow much when it comes to heavier pick ups and what not. Personally I 'm not a fan of the Dynamics but they have a following and a lot of guys like them. Again, these were $50-60,000 trucks when they were new. Both of these I would consider as "entry level" but remember sometimes those folks starting up are working on a wing & a prayer. No serious finance company is going to finance a truck of this age unless the person had some pretty incredible credit and or collateral but at that point, they aren't typically looking for trucks like this.

In the end, there's a seat for every ass. Sometimes you can price it strong if you are willing to wait for the right guy but it takes patience. And sometimes you need a reality check if you stop receiving calls on them. Good luck with it.

But of course that's just my opinion...I could be wrong. 😉 

Thanks for the input, Ed!

The valuation I came up with is based off comparable trucks guys are asking near the same money with double or triple the miles. Also, the salesman I bought my new international off from told me he would give me that for my ford when I was ready to transfer plates (I left it off the road for 4 months just to save it from one season of salt) he has since redacted that offer, as salesman do. 

I was thinking about trying eBay with a healthy reserve set just to get some baseline numbers, for the money why not. Thanks again

• Like 1