Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Robert Eugene Hoppes, Jr. - Nov. 26, 1950 ~ Jun. 3, 2023

RD.jpg.5639abe7fb102e8c879fca7f648025df.jpg

For those of you that haven't already heard my brother Bob Hoppes Jr. lost his fight last night & passed away. I can not say enough about this man he was the best boss, brother, father, uncle, and grandfather I knew. He was always there when I needed him, any problem I had I knew I could always go to him.

351297813_5926118674181204_8538431058537701243_n.jpg.800c58761a08660281543b1d6d307bf0.jpg351513519_912955923337783_2590025506003478939_n.jpg.5eb0cfb2796a3d5d68fc0e7728ad400f.jpg

I said this when my father passed but it goes just as much if not double for Bob, he made me into the Towing & Recovery Operator I turned out to be, taught me everything I know & would not have been without his guidance, wisdom & support. I love you so very much big brother, I will miss you each & every day I know you are no longer in pain. But your gone way too soon.

RIP Bob, no one deserves that more than you.

-----------------------------------------

Here are the Funeral Arrangements for my brother Bob Hoppes Jr.

They are at Lehman Funeral Home, 210 E Bridge St. Portland MI

Visitation Tuesday 6/6/23 2pm - 5pm & 6pm - 8pm Wednesday 6/7/23 11am - 1pm

with The Funeral beginning at 1pm after the Funeral we are requesting a Wrecker

procession parade from the Funeral home to the cemetery if any Wrecker/Towing

friends can make it.

352555339_243353551672564_7654694058947257282_n.jpg

If you wish to send flowers please do & any donations are being requested to the

International Hall of Fame Towing & Museum in his memory.

Robert Eugene Hoppes, Jr.

November 26, 1950 ~ June 3, 2023 (age 72)

Obituary

Robert “Bob” Eugene Hoppes Jr. passed away peacefully with his family by his side on June 3, 2023.  He was born on November 26, 1950 and lived in Portland, MI.

Bob worked at Reed and Hoppes in Portland his entire life alongside his family and employees.  For Bob, family and the business he helped his parents built, meant the world to him.  His family was his everything.  Bob also loved working, but never considered it work.  He loved to help people and would do anything for anyone at any time. 

Bob was a distributor for Miller Industries.  Being in the business for as long as he was, anyone that had a problem knew they could call and ask Bob.  He was a major influence in the towing industry.  It didn’t matter whether he was fabricating a small or large wrecker, helping a customer, answering questions, talking on the phone, or solving a problem, he loved his job. 

In his spare time (if he had any), he also loved playing cards (especially euchre), shooting pool, playing games with his grandchildren, watching Westerns on TV, and going for car rides with his family.  Like his dad, Bob’s idea of a vacation was working and spending time with his family. 

Bob is preceded in death by his parents, Robert Sr. and Florence Hoppes; sister, Julie (Eugene) Ridenour; and brother in-laws, Terre Coffman and Carl Harris. 

He is survived by Linda, his wife of 42 years; sons, Robert A. Hoppes and Daniel (Katelyn) Hoppes; three beloved grandchildren, Daniel, Hazel, and Lawton Hoppes; siblings, Kathlene Harris, Vicki (Al) Richar, Mary (Daniel) Ferguson, Joyce Hoppes, Jeanne (Thomas) Grawburg, Judy (Robert) Barr, Marsha (Daniel) Gambill, and John Hoppes; niece, Sabrina (Binit) Gambill; nephews, Robert Barr II and Grant Gambill; aunt Lucille Hoppes.

The family would like to acknowledge Joe Towner, a devoted “brother”, friend, and employee of 46 years.  Bob and Joe spent many hours working side by side, discussing and building equipment, and doing recovery work together.

Bob will be missed dearly by all his family and anyone that knew him. 

Funeral Services will be held at 1:00 PM Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at Lehman Funeral Home, 210 E. Bridge Street, Portland with the Rev. Dr. Marilyn V. Danielson of the First Congregational Church presiding. Interment will follow at Portland Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 2-5 PM and 6-8 PM Tuesday, June 6, 2023 and 11-1 PM Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at Lehman Funeral Home. For those desiring, memorial contributions may be made to the International Towing & Recovery Museum, 3315 Broad St., Chattanooga, TN 37408, in memory of Mr. Robert E. Hoppes, Jr.  

Online condolences may be made at www.lehmanfuneralhomes.com.

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Robert Eugene Hoppes, Jr., please visit our floral store.

• TowForce changed the title to Robert Eugene Hoppes, Jr. - Nov. 26, 1950 ~ Jun. 3, 2023

We would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who helped celebrate the life of Robert (Bob) Hoppes Jr. The outpour of condolences was beyond moving. Thank you for the donations to the towing museum, food, flowers, phone calls, messages, and being there for us. The overwhelming support that everyone offered to assist us during this difficult time means so much to all of us. A special thank you to the City of Portland and Portland Police Dept. for assisting in the coordination and execution of the tow truck parade and all of our colleagues who participated. The tow truck parade is something that we will never forget and something we know Bob would have appreciated. Everyone helped celebrate Bob's life and legacy in the towing industry and we couldn't be more grateful.

- The Hoppes Family

353622340_843173540832287_4110583174958966809_n.jpg.67098c7d220eb455b2b3253cd9088988.jpg