Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

TowTimes.com - William Robert “Bill” Tomlinson 1940-2023

TowTimes

8421244_fbs.jpg

William Robert “Bill” Tomlinson, 82, of Ashland, Wis., passed away Saturday, February 18, 2023, at Memorial Medical Center, in Ashland.  He was born July 18, 1940, in Ashland, the son of Robert and Ruby (Burnside) Tomlinson.

In 1958, he graduated from Ashland High School and on January 5, 1963, he married Barbara Lumberg, in Ashland.  He was the owner and operator of Tomlinson Inc, for 60 years. His hobby and his life were the towing business and as Bill would always say, “I tow”.  He was a member of Saron Lutheran Church, in Ashland and was an active member in so many different areas of the towing industry.  He was a Charter Member, Board Member, and Board Chairman, of the Wisconsin Towing Association and the Chairman of the Towing Convention and Towing Education Committee.  In the 80’s and 90’s, Bill headed up the Saturday demonstration of uplifting semi-trucks, as a recovery training.  He enhanced this training by organizing a tractor-trailer demonstration; which involved 12 young children that pulled cables with their hands and body strength to upright it.  He was an early moderator of the Saturday morning “Talking Towing”.  Bill was awarded the George Lansar Award as “The Special Person”, for the Wisconsin Towing and Recovery Associations.Bill was an active member in the Towing and Recovery Association of America:  where he also held many titles.  He was a Charter Member, was on the Education and Training board, Special Education Committee, Legislative committee, the Chairman of the Truck and Equipment Specification Committee; along with being the Chairman of the Council of States Towing Association.Bill was inducted in the International Towing and Recovery Hall Of Fame where he was a Charter Member of Friends of Towing.  He was a part of the Hazmat Special Training Group. In the 90’s Bill received the American Towman Award for being one of the oldest Towing companies in the United States. At the time, he ranked 24th out of 500. When Bill was asked what his outside interests were he replied by saying, “Towing!” One will never forget that Bill pioneered the “By-Jesus” hook-up method.

He is survived by his loving family; wife, Barbara; children, Carrie (Donald) Dahl, Mary (Chris) Barnes, Bob (Sandy) Tomlinson Sr., and Dana (Nick) Ecker; grandchildren, Tony (Georgia) Martin, Chad (Kendra) Martin, Brock Martin, Michael Dahl, Jessica Nettleton, Chuck Nettleton, Jessica Anderson, Bob (Krystal) Tomlinson Jr.; great-grandchildren, Trenton Bond, Cameron Bond, Makenah Stricker, Brysen Stricker, Madyson Anderson, Makaiya Stricker, Adalyn Martin, and Chloe Tomlinson; a sister, Jan Tomlinson; sister-in-laws, Lois (Dick) Johnson, Jan (Dale) Kupczyk, and Carol Lumberg; brother-in-law, Jim Lumberg; and many nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents; father-in-law and mother-in-law, Roy and Dorothea Lumberg; brothers-in-law, Gary Lumberg, Arnold “Gusty” Lumberg, and William “Bill” Erickson.

A funeral service will be held 11:00 a.m., Saturday, March 4, 2023, at Saron Lutheran Church in Ashland, with Pastor Paul Simmons officiating.  Visitation will be held from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m., on Friday, March 3, 2023, at Frost Home for Funerals and continue one hour prior to the service on Saturday, March 4, 2023, at Saron Lutheran Church in Ashland.

A procession to Bill’s place of rest will be held on Friday, May 26, 2023.  A Tomlinson tow truck procession will begin at Frost Home for Funerals and will proceed East on 6thStreet, down Stuntz Ave., then going west on 2nd Street, and then finally South on Sanborn Ave, to his place of rest at Mt. Hope Cemetery, in Ashland.  Graveside services will be held at approximately 2:00 p.m. at the cemetery.  Friends are encouraged to join the procession behind the last tow truck, up to the cemetery.  Following the graveside service everyone is invited to a gathering to celebrate Bill’s life at the Ashland Civic Center.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to the family; where the funds will be donated to the Survivor Fund at the International Towing Museum, which will be used to help those who are killed in line of service in the towing industry.

Arrangements are by the Frost Home for Funerals, in Ashland.

Source: Frost Home for Funerals 

https://www.bratleyfamilyfuneralhomes.com/obituary/william-bill-tomlinson

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com

In 2008 a Tow411 Member (ATIPRAR) stated:

Bill is the type of guy that can turn you bad day into a gooder day by telling you one of his jokes. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to all types of recoverys, BIG or SMALL. I've called him a few times and he has always walked me thru any problems or questions I might have had. When he and his wife [ Barb] come to Kauai we always get together and talk war stories and go out for icecream sundies. I've learned alot from him and hope to be able to continue to pick his brain .

In 2009 Tow411 Member (Wildwood Jack) stated:

For the people who don't know Bill Tomlinson, he is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet! He is another tow operator that is a great asset to our industry! 

In 2014 Truck1946 aka Bill Tomlinson wrote:

Bill Tomlinson retires after 60 years in the towing and recovery business!
367015a25b6053ea81e483dc8f249ff40748ef0a.jpg.9ae729506f1560f98b607104a4e604a2.jpg
Some of the many hats Bill has worn over the years:

Wisconsin Towing Association
*Charter Member
*Past Chairman
*Convention Chairman
*Education Committee Chair
*George Lanser Award

TRAA
*Costa Chairman
*Charter Member
*Legislation Committee
*State Representative
*Chair of the Truck Specs Committee
*Level II Training Manual and Testing

Towman 500 

Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1992

In 2014 Cleanjeans said:

WISCONSIN proud are we all for Bill and Barb. They as well as their family and employees have given the industry so much to learn and live by. Tomlinson's are truly some of the nicest most honest and ethical people you will ever have met and had the pleasure to work and learn with. 

Bill is truly from the class of guys that my Dad started with and we learned so much in the days prior to hydraulics and towing was truly "different" than it is today no question. We have so much to be thankful to Bill for in what he has done for the industry and from everyone here @ Jerry's Towing Bill, we thank you for the years of friendship and leadership and wish you Barb and your family many days of quality time and relaxation. If I was a betting man I am pretty sure there will be many days of tow trucks and stories and visits in your future still but enjoy all life has in store in your next chapter as you well deserved it!

In 2014 Niemans Towing said:

We hope you enjoy your retirement you deserve it thank you for all you have done for this industry and the WTA, Doug says hello

In 2014 Skip GSI said:

Good luck to you Bill. I am glad I was able to provide the insurance for your Company for several years. I will always remember our conversations regarding The Towing Industry. Enjoy your retirement.

In 2014 Bill Sellner said:

Bill, Just wanted to thank you for all the stories you have shared over the years. I have learned a lot just listening and talking to you. Hope you and Barb enjoy Branson. Please stop in any time you are going by. I will buy lunch or dinner or maybe go on a call. Your friends Bill and Kath.

• 3 months later...

I was very proud to make the trip to Ashland and be part of that procession. Bill was truly a great person and a joy to talk to. I will miss our phone calls to one another. Our industry lost a great icon. I am very proud to have known him. I am sure he is busy towing and doing recovery work on the streets of Heaven. Bill, May you rest in peace.

• Like 1