Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

A Wired Ford

This one happened right down the road from our shop. I saw the police shut the road down at our intersection, looked down the street and saw the mess so we started rolling. Arrived to this...20230203_164004.thumb.jpg.08a15582a274399c41e10de468b4884e.jpg

As I did my walk around I noticed the wires entangled in the truck frame

20230203_163954.thumb.jpg.61cde26f493da6c6decfbab086397b69.jpg

One of the cops said he didn't think they were live anymore as the pole he took out was "dead". I told him great, you move them then, because I'm waiting for someone from the electric co to tell me that before I touch them. When the fire department arrived one of their members happens to when for the electric co. I saw him look at the pole then walk away. Shortly after the chief told me that member said the lines were disconnected. I told him the same thing I told the officer, when I hear it from the bird's mouth I'll proceed. That member then walked to to the pole to show me himself that it was safe, then he grabbed the wires and moved them. Like I told him, I don't know electric but I know enough to stay away. After that it was a simple upright.

20230203_164753.thumb.jpg.5f664441dcd8f4c10a369e3283fb7bc6.jpg

I kept winching the front around to load it from the front as the front passenger wheel was non existent anymore. A simple 1 minute tow later and it was in the yard and we were warming up from the 20 degree weather with 30mph winds. On a happy note it's registered commercial and the owner claims it has full coverage, so we might actually get paid for it.20230203_170139.thumb.jpg.91826860dc7bfa16cf2da20648fd4c04.jpg

• Like 6

I am the same exact way, I wait for confirmation before proceeding. Same with verifying rail road tracks a dead, any train traffic is halted before removing a vehicle from those tracks. I have heard of tow truck drivers who did not verify and entered into a hazardous situation. Only to learn they had avoided injury or even death this time around and it is the same with entering flood waters. Why Risk It. Thanks for sharing great topic.

Younger Tow Truck Drivers learn from or at least take away from these and go on to become Tow Truck Operators.

• Like 1