Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Winch rope extensions

Andy

Im new to the recovery winch out side of this field so I have no idea what to expect when using extensions, but  I feel the need for synthetic winch rope extensions there expensive so id like to try and get this order right the first time.  I know several of my recoveries a 200 foot extension would have decreased my time and effort a lot. So I am thinking about these lengths.

One 100 foot maybe even a second ? 

one 50 foot 

and two 25 foot lengths. 

One question that I ask myself is the type of ends for sure id like to be able to hook at least one end to a hook or chain? Or both and then I wonder if I should have a hook on one end and a ring on the other end large enough to pass a hook or chain through? The next would be what size or strength I have an MPL40 8000 pound winches if that helps. 1/2” might be more weight to drag up and down steep inclines in deep snow but it might also hold up longer to the abuse they might see and may also survive dragging a car up a steep incline. But I really dont know. Thanks Andy 

I made some things up as we went along, not by the book maybe, but it works.

I have two old 3/8 wire ropes that I have made ~80 foot extensions out of, they have the original hook on one end, and loop on the other.  The loop end that I terminate with cable clamps is weaker that the factory end, so bear that in mind when using it.  

When using the loop end, I use a clevis, I don't just run a chain against the cable.  They are a PITA to store, we wrap them around old wheels that we have modified to hold them.

We also got recovery straps, the better ones have a good WLL and are much easier to store.  We also got 30 foot lengths of recovery ropes, they can be run through blocks to double the rating as well.   We are using soft shackles now too, I wasn't too sure of them, but as we use them I am getting more confident in them and their WLL is good

When you get stringing stuff out that far, know what your resistance is and what your gear is rated for. 

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

I always hated to spend the money on the synthetic extensions, and years ago was too cheap.  The first extension i bought was a 3/8 50" wire.  It works, but was always a pain to coil up and store.  I have an MPL40 that we went to 125' wire on the spools and i have about 10 lenghts of 20' chains in a crate on the truck.  Later on as we made a little money, I added a 100' synthetic 3/8 extension.  Its so much easier.  Over the years as we have had the cash we added a 100' synthetic extension in each of our 6 trucks.  So if i ever need it, I call for another guy to come help me and I have plenty of length.  The extensions were about $400 ish.  Every time i use one, im charging at least that.... so when you use it, add another one for a while till you have a few of them around for that just in case situation.  Make sure to charge accordingly when you have to pull them out.

• Like 2

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

On 4/7/2022 at 6:23 AM, DragNTow said:

I buy 250 foot pieces of 1/2 " braided synthetic line. Fill your winch drum and make extensions out of the rest. Be sure to buy the BRAIDED type of line. The solid, non braided line is junk and cannot be field repaired.

Are you just making a knot for field repairs or are you good enough at actually splicing line in the field. I know a couple of sailors that can weave line pretty fast but never tried it. I’m pretty sure I can learn it. I guess my real question is I break a synthetic line in the field ( funny it will probably be a field or at least the wild) can I do a loop style knot and get enough strength to continue. 

On 4/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, ESC said:

I always hated to spend the money on the synthetic extensions, and years ago was too cheap.  The first extension i bought was a 3/8 50" wire.  It works, but was always a pain to coil up and store.  I have an MPL40 that we went to 125' wire on the spools and i have about 10 lenghts of 20' chains in a crate on the truck.  Later on as we made a little money, I added a 100' synthetic 3/8 extension.  Its so much easier.  Over the years as we have had the cash we added a 100' synthetic extension in each of our 6 trucks.  So if i ever need it, I call for another guy to come help me and I have plenty of length.  The extensions were about $400 ish.  Every time i use one, im charging at least that.... so when you use it, add another one for a while till you have a few of them around for that just in case situation.  Make sure to charge accordingly when you have to pull them out.

The money is there, i bid these jobs well or they can stay in the wild until summer comes. I found a place in Portland that will make them up with just about any end or hook I want. Like you said there not cheap but every time I walk back and forth unspooling and dragging crap in deep snow multiple times I ask myself why I haven’t ponied up for some extensions. Monday I got the wrecker stuck had to winch it up into position to do the job but 150 foot of extensions and I wouldn’t have had to even get close to the deep snow. He had muddled it all up trying to get out. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Are you just making a knot for field repairs or are you good enough at actually splicing line in the field. I know a couple of sailors that can weave line pretty fast but never tried it. I’m pretty sure I can learn it. I guess my real question is I break a synthetic line in the field ( funny it will probably be a field or at least the wild) can I do a loop style knot and get enough strength to continue. 

You can tie a knot in it while in the field and then do a splice when you get back to the shop. The repair is not a weave. It is a splice. Videos on youtube

Thats good to know I didnt know if you could make a loop knot in one for a patch if needed or if that made it to weak to perform. 

You can call it a splice all you want its still a weave:) Basket weaving winch rope my new forte. I thought with the four jobs I have and fifty hobbies I was done coming up with new ones but rope weaving may be the next thing I will have to master. Im going to get some ordered. I put it off because I thought winter was over and I would have them made up for next year but im still doing winchouts and summer will bring the STUPID gene out in a lot of people and they will figure out ways to launch them even further than on iced over roads.  I say this as half an inch of sleet fell in the last 5 minutes.