Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Stealing Tow Trucks left running!

Stealing tow trucks left running at a scene is becoming more common across the nation. While we most often do not hear about this crime, it is on the rise.

Think about how many times you exit your truck to speak with the person prior to loading the vehicle. We've all done this numerous times, in fact the overwhelming majority of the time. Fact is once we make contact we are going to be hooking the vehilce up. Sometimes the pto is already engaged and ready often you return to the cab of the truck before starting to load the vehicle. How much time is there for someone to seize the opportunity jump into the truck and take off. 

Ambulances, even Police Cars are being stolen at scenes. What makes anyone think it's not going to be their tow truck. What are some of the precautions you have taken to keep this from occuring with your truck?

Shit I never turn off my trucks I even leave them running when at the fuel island and go in the store without turning off or locking them. I Guess I better start paying a little more attention. Thieves don't want anything to work with but I guess they could joy ride in a wrecker.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a written, "No idle policy" and "Take your keys policy", when drivers are away from the truck when getting fuel, going for purchase orders, getting a Big Gulp and leaving their truck running and unoccupied. A little diligence goes a long way, but, tow trucks need to power radio's, emergency lights, or during winch scenarios and service work. It's bound to happen.

That said, I've archived dozens of stories reporting tow trucks were stolen dating back to 1944. Having a tow truck stolen while working a scene or on service calls is only one side of the story. Three other possibilities to theft suggests ex or disgruntled employee take trucks to "get even" with former employers. Don't rule out the fact that new tow truck costs may be beyond a tow owner's ability where repossessions occur, but are reported as being stolen. Additionally, bad-guys steal carriers to do "crash and grab" commercial burglaries, steal other cars, or, attempt to steal ATM machines. Wrekcers seem to be the ideal piece of equipment in lifting items for theft. Regardless as to the reason, here's hoping the tow company (victim) has appropriate insurance to cover theft of the tow truck, or whatever prevailing damage (or loss of life) caused by fleeing suspects in a #26,000-pound carrier.

I've include a link regarding a 2018 incident in, Syracuse NY, that resulted in AAA being sued by an injured police officer alleging the AAA tow operator was negligent because he left the tow truck running while he was away from the tow truck.  

Link:  https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2018/03/lawsuit_aaa_at_fault_for_tow_truck_heist_that_injured_4_during_wild_police_chase.html

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

On 4/7/2022 at 2:00 AM, rreschran said:

I've include a link regarding a 2018 incident in, Syracuse NY, that resulted in AAA being sued by an injured police officer alleging the AAA tow operator was negligent because he left the tow truck running while he was away from the tow truck.  

Link:  https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2018/03/lawsuit_aaa_at_fault_for_tow_truck_heist_that_injured_4_during_wild_police_chase.html

That story is absolutely ridiculous, not that the officers got hurt, as well as other people, but to sue the operator to the truck that was on scene helping the customer.  This is another instance of too many lawyers in this country and what our country is becoming.  I also did a bit of research and I cannot find any disposition of this lawsuit.  I would hope that the operator was not found guilty of any wrong doing.

Mr. Resch, do you have any further information on this article?

I too tend to leave the trucks run alot when I am out, and always when I an running the lights.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

• 3 weeks later...