Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Leave It or Drop It?

Would you leave a burning vehicle on your truck or would you drop it?

Obviously in the situation shouln on the video there was enough time prior to the arrival of the Fire Truck to unload the burning vehicle. At least get it off the truck, free wheel and pull away. Hopefully there was a fire extiquisher on the truck to have attempted to control the fire. What are your thoughts and I realize none of us were there except the rollback driver when the flames began.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While our first instinct may be to protect our truck, especially if we are an owner operator, it likely is not wise to attempt to unload that vehicle in that location or condition. Here's why;

We do not know what may be compromised by fire on that vehicle and to unload it we are putting our unprotected body directly next to the vehicle, especially our head, as we roll the carrier deck past us to slide and tilt. What happens when a tire, bumper strut or other part explodes with violent force while our body is in harms way? Can you replace yourself easier than the truck?

Now, if we successfully get it on the ground and freewheel the winch or unhook the bridle completely how are we going to be sure that vehicle does not roll away into traffic? We have no way of being sure vehicle is not compromised so as to be in neutral or otherwise able to roll away.

Lastly, although maybe the most important consideration of all, even though we are accustomed to working in live traffic the presence of fire in an unusual situation will be very distracting to the other motorists and I would wager your risk of being struck by a distracted vehicle is even greater in this situation than a normal response to a call. It simply isn't worth your life to try to save a truck from the fire loss.

• Thanks 1

Brian, great points for consideration. There are however unanswered questions from the video.

When did the driver realize the vehicle was on fire?

I would assume and I realize what it does to assume. But, these fires generally start small and spread slower then one would expect. There is often time to extinguish the fire or get it under some type of control. I carry two fire extinguishers for juat that reason. The factors as to whether I let it burn on the truck or unload it are varied. I suppose since I only drive an autoload, unloading the vehicle and moving away is a no brainier. While (knock on wood) it has been several years since I had a vehicle on fire in tow. It has happened and I have even driven a few blocks to a fire house while calling ahead. Seems to take as long to put the fire out there as it does on the scene.

In the end it is best a take precautions so fires do not result while in tow. The number one cause is often a battery issue.

• 3 months later...