Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Shifts in transmission spec'ing

TowNews

Automated manual transmissions and automatic transmissions continue to make headway in commercial vehicle powertrains.

An important connection in shifting power from the engine to the wheel axles, transmissions are an integral part of any vehicle powertrain. 

As adoption of automatic and automated manual transmissions continues, views of this system being purely mechanical have transformed as data from product performance in the field provides feedback to improve efficiency.

“Automated manual transmissions (AMT) and automatic transmissions are becoming more and more popular with drivers of all experience levels,” says Brian Daniels, manager of powertrain and component product marketing at Detroit Diesel. “For new, less experienced drivers, it typically takes less time to train on AMTs and there is potential to get them into a revenue-producing position faster.”

Detroit Diesel (demanddetroit.com), a division of Daimler Trucks North America, is an engine, transmission and axle OE manufacturer for Freightliner and Western Star trucks.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE

I'm still a fan and always will with a manual transmission. All these different automatics and electronic controlled transmissions I am not a fan of. Give me a good 13 speed and up in a MD or 6 speed in a Light truck. I live near NYC to I'll still be happy with that third peddle.

I was always a fan of manual trannys especially with heavy loads, but as I get older its much easier to have automatics now.Technology in automatics has jumped bigtime.These are not the automatics from 20yrs ago.

Ps Im towing in Nyc and Jersey city all the time and I thank the tow truck gods for my automatic.

Kevin's American Towing Service
Ph: 631-654-8811

• 1 month later...

Archived