Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Driver Suspected Of Stealing Cars In Orange County (CA) "Suspect Arrested"

TowNews

An Orange County businessman is coming forward to share video of a person using a tow truck to allegedly steal cars.

- Fullerton man says his work van suddenly disappeared. After he saw security video, he realized it was towed away. But who did it? Only on 2 CBS to Orange County Reporter, Michele Gile, found some answers.

ANGEL LUGO: The thing that gave it away first is it-- it didn't have license plates. It didn't have a front license plate. Didn't have a back license plate.

MICHELE GILE: Add to that, the fact that the suspect dresses in a reflective vest like a legitimate tow truck driver would. Here is video from Fullerton this past Saturday of the thief as he's about to hook up the white van and cart it away. Notice the tow truck has no markings, no company name on it, but the suspect acts like he's doing official business. Now Angel Lugo has no work van and none of his equipment and tools. It's a loss amounting to $25,000.

ANGEL LUGO: The dispatcher, when she talked to me she said this is organized. That this is something that's been happening a lot in LA and Orange County, that they've been taking the vehicles away. And you know, nobody's questioning them, you know.

MICHELE GILE: Ironically, the victim installs security systems for a living and he put in this one that recorded the video. One of the cameras captured the suspect stealing his van and also casing another van in the same area. The victim thinks that the culprit doesn't so much want the vehicles, but what is inside of them.

And the thief is fast. We counted, it took only 10 seconds for him to hook up the van and drive off. Fullerton Police need the public's help. A BMW was stolen the same night by a tow truck. It appears it's the same suspect, according to officials. The BMW has been found in Fullerton, but Angel Lugo's van is still missing.

ANGEL LUGO: We-- we supply security for people and-- and these people are getting away with it, because they're looking legit.

RESOURCE LINK with video

"because they're looking legit" --- sorry; if I see a tow truck with no markings and no license plates, I see a likely thief.  Don't know about other states, but in Texas it's law that the truck be marked conspicuously.  The requirements of info displayed and even the size of lettering is stated in the law.  Not that there's much enforcement of it, selective to be sure, but the more people are aware that it's law then the more can be aware of people operating illegally and easily differentiate them from actual honest, legitimate, hard-working tow operators.

Richard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An Anaheim man who was previously convicted of vehicle theft and forgery has been arrested after allegedly using a tow truck to steal cars, police announced Thursday.

Kevin Cannata, 35, was arrested Wednesday following a monthlong investigation, according to a Fullerton Police Department news release.

Between Feb. 14 and March 13, police had responded to three different reports of stolen vehicles.

In each of the incidents, police received witness reports or reviewed video of what appeared to be a white tow truck being used to steal the vehicles.

Police were able to identify Cannata after the video evidence was circulated, according to the release.

He was allegedly in possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia when he was arrested.

After searching his home and another vehicle, investigators found property taken from one of the stolen vehicles, as well as ammunition, which Cannata is prohibited to possess because of his prior felony convictions, according to police.

The suspect was taken to Orange County jail, where he is being held on $200,000 bail.

No further details about the ongoing investigation have been released, and police did not share a booking photo of Cannata.

Resource Link

On 3/18/2021 at 9:06 AM, someotherplace said:

"because they're looking legit" --- sorry; if I see a tow truck with no markings and no license plates, I see a likely thief.  Don't know about other states, but in Texas it's law that the truck be marked conspicuously.  The requirements of info displayed and even the size of lettering is stated in the law.  Not that there's much enforcement of it, selective to be sure, but the more people are aware that it's law then the more can be aware of people operating illegally and easily differentiate them from actual honest, legitimate, hard-working tow operators.

Richard

Here, the only tow truck you might see without any business lettering are repo trucks And I only know of one guy that has no business lettering on his rig. But even those must display D.O.T. numbers, M/C Numbers and License plates etc.. 

Even if it is a tow truck for private use only like hauling personal equipment, race cars etc. They must say NOT FOR HIRE in bold lettering where the D.O.T. numbers would normally be displayed. 

I am with you. If I see a rig with absolutely zero markings, They are probably up to no good.

Very Glad to hear they busted this douchebag. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE