Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Flat Towing HD

I recently had to tow a loaded  sanitation truck .  Question is   can you tow  Over weight  trucks  with  all wheels on ground . My  truck is a 35 ton  and wheel lift handled it OK .   Problem was  I was over weight   by my scales . Had good weight  steers . Just wondered if there is an acceptable option to  flat tow using the wheel lift .     

Flat towing with the wheel lift in my opinion is a non-starter. It is not designed for it and its dangerous. Some guys will argue and say they do it all the time, Just go slow and make wide turns, have the driver steer the casualty, blah blah blah.. Bottom line is, your banking on the slim chances that the truck will follow you properly, Not turn the steer axle all over one way or another and that the cresting and waving of the road as you travel doesnt put any excess downward pressures on your rigging, wheel lift, etc... If you cant pick it safely and keep a little weight on your nose then like they said in the movie Jaws,.. "Your gonna need a bigger boat ". I would much rather turn down the job than tear up my truck and gear or worse, Kill somebody..

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose in theory, that would work in a low speed, short distance situation. Although I have never tried that so I dont really have a viable comment. 

I personally am not a big fan of most of those tow eyes so I would probably never try it. If thats the only thing really securing me to a fully loaded casualty, I dont think I would be very comfortable doing it.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE