Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Woman accidentally shot herself in leg! (IN)

TowZone

Woman accidentally shot herself in leg, state police say

A woman is expected to survive after accidentally shooting herself in the left leg in a car pulled off the Indiana Toll Road with a flat tire, the state police said.

Teylor Shi Ann Anderson, 20, of South Bend, was transported to Porter County Regional Hospital, then transferred to South Bend Memorial Hospital, police said in a release.

Probationary Trooper Luis Alvarez had called a tow truck around 2 a.m. on Sept. 29 for a green Toyota Camry pulled off near the Indiana 49 exit for Chesterton/Valparaiso in Porter County.

As the tow truck was trying to hook up the car, they heard a single gunshot inside the car. Two people got out yelling someone had been shot, a release said.

A 9mm Glock 19 handgun went off when Anderson tried to put it in her handbag, police said. It belonged to someone else in the car.

Alvarez gave first aid, then applied tourniquets to both of Anderson’s legs. Her left leg was bleeding severely and right leg was also bleeding, according to a release.

A 1-year-old child next to her was unhurt, police said.

Porter County EMS and Cloverleaf Towing assisted.

RESOURCE LINK

I like reading articles and hear that some police officers are trained as EMTs or have advanced emergency medical training. All the more reason that makes the argument  to keep cops on streets and not defunded. One rarely reads about someone applying tourniquets these days (outside of military environments), so it sounds as though the bleeding was severe enough where the tourniquet was a lifesaving choice. The officer should be commended for his quick thinking and his choice of field application. Nice work.       R.

Edited by rreschran
  • Like 2

Randall C. Resch

Agreed. Sadly, the story will probably get twisted around as to make it the officers fault she shot herself somehow. 

Maybe things are different in Indiana, but why was she handling a weapon that belonged to someone else in the car? As far as I am aware, I cant simply hand off my side arm to another person unless that person is another ccw registered person. Your weapon, Your responsibility. The only other person that has ever handled my sidearm is my wife who has a ccw as well.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Because GLOCKS Do Not Have A Safety:

"Glock eliminated the need for a manual safety with their design. When carried in a proper holster (that holds the weapon securely and covers the trigger), by a properly trained individual (who keeps his/her finger off the trigger until ready to fire), it needs no manual safety to be safely manipulated."

A GLOCK is not for a novice or someone who does not carry their weapon in a holster.