Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Man drowns trying to get his car out of a retention pond (IN)

TowZone

A man drowned early Sunday trying to tow his car from a retention pond on the northeast side.

ecd56087-81de-4740-bc32-d58ed5c63b61_192

The 34-year-old victim had called a tow truck to the pond at on the 4000 block of Pendleton Way about 4:30 a.m. to help him get the car out of the pond, according to a news release from the Indianapolis Fire Department.

The car was submerged in about 10 feet of water. The victim and the tow truck driver entered the pond to hook the car to the tow truck, said IFD Capt. Rita Reith in a news release.

The driver told fire officials that the man began flailing about once in the water, almost pulling the driver underneath.

The driver got out of the water and called 911.

IFD divers were sent to the scene at 4:42 a.m., arriving at 4:50 a.m. Three minutes later, they recovered the victim’s body.

Reith said several witnesses were able to help the divers locate the man quickly, who was about 20 feet off  shore.

The victim’s identity has not been released.

Reith said it was unclear when or how the car went into the pond.

RESOURCE LINK

I have lost count how many times over the last 20 years I have told Tow Truck Drivers to stay out of the water.

Prior to an event 20 years again I would put on water boots and step into the water. I did this one night and hooked up a vehicle in 6 to 8 inches of water. when I returned a half hour later for the second vehicle the water had gone down. Right about were I stepped out of the truck was an open manhole. That was enough right there to tell me I press my luck far enough.

This tragic incident which happened in Indianapolis, In. was in 10 feet over water. What Would You Have Done had this been your call. I would hope you would have left it there till the water went down. Wonder if the company was informed by the tow truck driver of the water hazard upon arrival. I do feel for tow truck driver and this has to be very traumatic!

• Like 1

Bottom line is if you are not trained in scuba then STAY OUT OF THE WATER. Just because you were quite the swimmer back at grandmas pool as a kid does not make you qualified to go swimming after a vehicle in any type of water. Sure, most divers have no clue how to rig a vehicle for recovery but, It is easier to explain how to rig a vehicle to a trained and equipped diver then it is to explain to a tow operator how to dive and work under water. 

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE