Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Chain length

I am putting together the an older HPL60 Jerrdan.  It has a tow bar for trucks, no sling, that takes 1/2 inch chain.  I have a couple of 1/2 in chains that are 20 feet long and Damn heavy.  I need to cut at least one of them down.  What lengths should I be looking to make for hooking up from the front and the back of medium duty trucks when needed.  I have enough chain to make multiple sets, just need to buy hooks.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tracy

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

Ok, I can make up any length I want at this point, so would I go wit a 10 or a 12?  Chuck, have you run into a situation where you wanted that extra 2 feet?  I would keep it at 10 just to save the weight if I wont ever need the extra length.

The chain I have is from an overhead crane assembly.  It is older chain and thicker than other 1/2 inch chain i have seen but I font know the actual rating for it.  It has been strung along over the rafters in the garage for years.

I have a piece of 2x8 board and a piece of angle iron made up, any other thought of what I might want?

Tracy

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

10 ft grade 100 has worked well for me, although I do not use the truck bar often.
The aluminum angle is invaluable, & I also carry a 5 ft 4x4, (pressure treated), which helps under leaf springs.
The HPL 60 on that size chassis is a super versatile unit & mine has served me well beyond my expectations..from small cars to single axle road tractors, box trucks ect.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TowForce mobile app