Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Porsche~Low Clearance

NJsss ... Thanks for sharing pics of your ramping technique, but for me ... NO eyelets EVER on a $400,000 Porsche, especially if it's a newish Carrerra, or ANY vehicle for that matter. My worry is a car self-ejecting and running the tower, the customer, or anyone in the path of the runaway vehicle over. Even if you've been towing for 50-year's, screw-in eyelets are extremely dangerous. Those things scare me to death even when they're brand new out of the box. Here's a video that may change your mind ... somewhere around 9:00 the loop strips from the bumper ... watch for it. After seeing what happens, fast forward to the 22:00 minute mark, the car's loaded being connected from the underside and not to the eyelet. Seeing is believing and consider this a friendly warning as to the potential danger and risk.  At the very least, a catch strap is smart. But, eyelets for me ... NO THANKS ! ! ! !  R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

Due to liability & preventing damage- always follow manufacturers instructions on how to load & tow any vehicle, especially exotics

A undamaged tow hook installed correctly should be used.  Sitting in the car while winching with a wireless remote or have second person at controls would definitely prevent any issue In the event of a tow hook, winch or cable failure                                                             Assure you, unpreventive damage would of occurred  using a soft strap on this lowered Porsche with its fragile & brittle air dam, even with the slightest amount of contact 

The example video is slightly misleading.    

Statistically speaking, how many actually fail when  INSTALLED &  USED CORRECTLY?

Edited by Njsss

Hi Njsss ... thanks for sharing back the full-view Porsche photo ... it's an awesome car as I'm a vintage Porsche owner too. Thanks for your comments and another great set of circumstances you bring to the table, "but, if only a perfect world." Your points are well-accepted and initiate a debatable discussion. I personally think eyelets were intended for flat-towing and somehow morphed into the loading process. I feel they aren't sufficiently designed to hold a vehicle's weight, especially on a tilted deck being only held by eight to ten man-made threads.  

For me, I see the video as solid evidence that seperation wasn't caused by free-spool, the break wasn't computer generated or altered, but an act of unintended snap, break, or failure. Did the screw-in eye snap because the car was winched too far up the ramp and angled toward the winch? Did it strip its threads? Was the socket damaged from previous use or frontal collision? Was the new looking eyelet used to recover a wrecked car off a sidewalk and the eyelet put away as new? Even if it were a demon-possessed vehicle, had it been loaded more than six-times? These are the unknown's I'm speaking of that can't be known by looking at a new eyelet taken from the box. The video clearly shows a violent roll-away. To see an experienced operator and his customer chase a non-stoppable rollaway vehicle is all the evidence necessary to justify changes in my loading protocol. I'm a big believer of lessons learned and there are clear lessons to be learned from the video.  

But, forensically, do consider the speed in-which the red vehicle immediately rolled down the bed ... would an unsuspecting individual be able to react and stop a runaway vehicle before some unaware tow operator or owner were run-over and killed standing at the tailboard? The video shows the operator and customer reacting in a clear-cut "Oh Shit" moment ... that sadly has resulted in other individual's being killed while attempting to stop the runaway vehicle. 

I'm not disrespectful of any tow operator's choice to use them ... I'm simply over-aware that eyelets are potentially dangerous where I require my drivers to use alternative techniques. As far as statistics, and perhaps it's a pride thing, but I don't know of any tower who willingly calls-in to report that they've lost their customer's vehicle. I just know of many examples of this accidental happening including a dozen or so local and industrywide cases where the loop, "Just let go."  I've learned that vehicle manufacturer's aren't necessarily experts in towing and recovery.         R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

I am with NJSS on this one. a PROPERLY installed and used tow eye is the way to go. I do question a couple things on that video.

First, who exactly installed it onto the car? I was instantly concerned when the operator moved his rig around front and the eye was already installed (7:50 ). Then both he and the customer played with it as if it was not installed all the way or something. It is almost like she is asking him if it is on right. ( no audio ).

Second, I question if that was even the proper eye for that vehicle. I use them pretty regularly and I am almost certain the ones on the mini's are much shorter than that. It almost looked like one for a newer Subaru. Again, I am not sure but it doesnt look like a mini hook to me. I have had customers hand me toweyes for other vehicles before. 

Third, There is a point on the deck where your winch is pulling down on the hook after the vehicle is far enough forward. I feel he way over did it on that one and put Alot of downward pressure on the hook. You can see it start to bend down at the end just before it snaps.

Fourth, Now, I am NOT bashing this man in any way, But As for this guy being an experienced operator, WHY is he winching the car with the customers standing off the starboard quarter? NO ONE is to stand behind the end of my deck while loading. For this exact reason. WHY is he chasing after the car after the break-off? YOU panic, THEY panic. Look behind it. Where is it going to go?? Stand your ground and YELL to them to STAY BACK !!!

Now before I get bashed as to I dont know what I would do because it wasnt me in the situation, I have had cars break-off before. it happens. I have never had a eye hook break, but I have had lines break, a winch that wasnt fully engaged, bad rigging from a brain fart or a swamper, etc.. I too have made mistakes. Even had a brand new line have the swivel hook pull off the swedge on its very first use because of a manufacturing defect on the stud and nut. I would have liked to have got a close up look at the broken eyehook after the fact to see exactly what had failed.

Like most anything else in our Industry, There is a right way and a wrong way to use a piece of rigging. Those eye hooks have their place in this word, they just have to be used properly. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE