Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

I can't think of a title for this story that is family-friendly!

thtdon

I got a call on Thursday from a woman at AAA.  She was looking for a copy of a receipt for $82 for a tire change on I-93.  I told the woman that she had the wrong shop, as I haven't changed a tire on interstate highway 93 or 495 in 6 or 7 years.  Our company policy is a flat tire on the highway is a tow-only.  Today, I got a call from a guy who was looking for the same receipt.  His car was in a parking lot of a restaurant about 2 miles from my shop.  I remember that.  It was the same call.  So he wasn't on the highway at all.  Evidently, he called Agero.  And for some reason, he had no coverage with them.  So he ended up paying Agero $82 for the tire change.  He also has AAA.  So he wanted to get AAA to reimburse him for what he shelled out to Agero.  AAA refused to accept whatever documentation that Agero provided him.  AAA told the guy that he would have to get a receipt from me.  However, since no money changed hands, I will not provide him with a receipt. 

A few years ago, I got a call from an insurance company.  The person wanted me to send her a copy of a receipt, so she could compare it with the one that the customer gave her.  The tow was for $100.  So the guy got creative, and transformed the "1" to a "4".  Nice money if you can get it.  So I faxed her a clean copy of the original.  She called me back and told me that the customer was a fraud.  And she was denying his claim altogether.  A few minutes later, the customer called me in a total rage.  He said that I had no right to give the insurance company any information.  I told him that, not only do I have a right, but I also have an obligation to do so.  Not to mention the fact that if the insurance company turned the matter over to the DPU, that would bring trouble down on me that I didn't deserve.  The guy said that he was going to pay me a visit.  I told him to come right away.  I am still waiting!

• Like 1

Good Job.

You did the right thing with both scenarios. Anyone who calls you looking for a receipt that didnt actually pay you directly is trying to pull a scam. I have seen it a thousand times. People out there think we are all stupid. If AAA wont accept whatever documentation she got from Agero then she needs to contact Agero for a better receipt. They took her money, Not you.

I have made it a point when ever possible to send a copy of any tow invoice a customer paid out of pocket directly to his/her Insurance provider so they have it on record EXACTLY what they paid me. Off the top of my head I can remember 5 times throughout my career where someone tried fudging my invoice to get a few bucks out of their insurance. Sorry, I want NO part of your fraud scheme And I am gonna Cover my own A== Every time.....

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 11 months later...

Recently I had a call for a jump start.  I got to the car, greeted the customer, and asked him what the car was doing.  He got in, turned the key, and it started right up.  So he decided that he would just drive the car.  Fine with me.  But then he demanded that I refund $90.00 to him.  That is what the motor club charged him for a jump start that was 1 mile from my shop.  I couldn't make the guy understand that I am not the one that he paid the $90.00 to.  I told him that he would have to call who he called in the first place for his refund.  He got right up in my face.  And he blocked me from leaving with his car.  I saw a police cruiser passing by, and I got his attention to stop.  The customer practically knocked me down, so he could get to the cop first.  Of course, he was screaming at the cop, which wasn't helping his case.  Then I told the cop my side.  In the end, the cop sent the guy on his merry way. All I got was a GOA out of it.  Wasn't worth my time.  But just so you know, the motor club charged this guy $90.00 for a jump start.  Not me.  The car was a mile away from my shop.  And I got there within 30 minutes, which was 30 minutes sooner than my ETA.  I think that he was insured by State Farm.  You wonder why people get pissed.  The motor club was the bad guy. 

I remember a while back, the motor club called to complain to me that the customer was complaining that I charged him $4.00 a mile for over-mileage.  I have been charging that for years.  And AAA charges their members $4.00 a mile for over-mileage also.  Anyway, today it is rare that we get any over-mileage because the motor club charges the customer for the over-mileage with the customer's credit card.  And we get cheated out of the higher rate.  Do you know what the motor club charges their customers for the over-mileage rate?  $4.00 per loaded mile.   Okay for them.  But not for us.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got a call from a woman yesterday, similar to other calls that I have received previously, looking for a receipt to get money refunded.  In this case, last Saturday, a woman called AAA for service.  And she waited 5 hours, and received no service.  That sounds odd to me because the building where AAA keeps their trucks is just down the street from where she was stranded.  So she called Toyota Roadside Assistance.  However, her Toyota Prius was past the warranty, and she had no coverage.  So she paid the motor club with her credit card over the phone for them to send a tow.  So I got the call, arrived within the promised ETA, loaded the car onto the flatbed and I delivered the car to the Toyota dealership in Haverhill.  She was a little unhappy because I told her that she would have to secure her own ride. But the call was completed within the promised ETA.  Cased closed.

So on Monday, the woman complained to AAA about the lack of service.  They instructed her to get a receipt from the other motor club and submit it to them, and they would pay her.  She was adamant that I was going to refund her money.  That was not going to happen.  Since no money changed hands between that woman and me, no refunds will be given, and no tow receipts will be given either.  Besides, does the motor club really want me to know that they charged her at least double the money for the service that they paid me?  I think not.  Now if they gave the call to me and informed me that it would be a cash call, and the woman paid me directly, I would have issued a tow receipt to her.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Agreed! Receipt for payment is issued to whomever paid for the service. End of story. I have had several people, over the years come back, for a copy of their receipt on customer pay tows that were done weeks prior and ask me to change the date to today's date instead of showing the date the service was performed. I refuse to do this as well, because they are probably trying to scam an insurance company or motor club that they did not have a policy with on the date of service.

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.