Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: What's Your Company Seatbelt Policy ? ? ?

With the news of the recent operator fatality, if you're a company owner, what is your company's seatbelt policy? There are plenty of tow owners who don't believe in seatbelts and don't have a written policy. I personally believe that seatbelts save lives, and, for any tow operator or employee driving a company car is required to wear seatbelts. Looking at my stats, I've confirmed as many as 42-operators killed in some kind of driving accident where they were ejected and killed. Although it's a vehicle code law for nearly all states, what does your company's Employee handbook say about wearing seatbelts? If the handbook doesn't require employees to wear seatbelts, how can you expect them to do so? And to that point, do you ever go looking to see if your employees are following your company's rules and have their seatbelts on? This is the second tower killed this year and within 4-months.    R.

Randall C. Resch

I see a lot of towers around my neck of the woods that dont wear seat belts, There is this big myth around here that most guys believe we are exempt from the seat belt law. It is just that, A MYTH.. Sure all the local P.D. dont bother any of us about it but it is still LAW. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Interesting Carl. I've heard of non-coverage for the lack of not wearing seatbelts.  I did a little Googling asking the same question if a driver was covered if not wearing a seatbelt and was injured? From an attorney's website I found the following information: 

• If the cause of your injuries was 51 percent or more due to the fact that you didn’t buckle up, you would have no claim for compensation against the negligent driver.
  • If the cause of your injuries was less than 51 percent due to not wearing a seat belt, you would have a claim for compensation against the negligent driver. However, your settlement amount from him would be reduced by the percentage that you are found to be at fault. This amount could still be substantial.
  • Even if you could not make a claim for your personal injuries, you may still be able to file a claim for your property damage against the negligent driver or your own insurance company if you purchased collision insurance.
  • Even if you are at fault in causing your injuries, you could file a claim under your medical coverage for payment of your medical expenses if you bought that coverage.

Aside from the fact that state law requires them to be worn, seatbelts have proved to increase the odds of survival to the wearer. And when I teach tow operator safety courses, this topic is thoroughly discussed. Besides, aren't we in that business to know and understand the importance of wearing seatbelts?     R.

Randall C. Resch