Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

From TowTimes.com - Towing Operations Absent from Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce List

TowBot

On March 19, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) issued a memorandum on identification of essential critical infrastructure workers during Covid-19 response. The memorandum was intended to identify those workers critical to public safety and health who would be exempt from mandatory business closures or work shutdowns.

In the “Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce,” CISA “developed an initial list of ‘Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers’ to help State and local officials as they work to protect their communities, while ensuring continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security.”

The Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce can be viewed by clicking here.

While the guidance addresses numerous occupations and services in law enforcement, public safety, first responders, transportation and logistics as essential, critical infrastructure workers, towing operations are not included in the listings.

Noting it was likely an oversight, industry safety advocate Bill Giorgis of Mike’s Wrecker Service in Saginaw, Mich., would like to see towing operations formally on the list. “The towing community is critical to keeping roads open and trucks on the highways across the United States,” Giorgis said. “Adding towers universally to the list as first responders would solve this now and in the future. Towers should check in the states they work in and see how they’re classified. If they are classified as first responders, it is not an issue. They may be classified as contracted vendors, or under transportation.

“While this omission is not a significant development considering the overall impact of the coronavirus, the towing industry should be aware of this classification now rather than later,” Giorgis said, “and to perhaps work on inclusion as first responders in the future.”

bWhRMMcCcX8

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com

Yeah ... you could say that I'm one of those letter writing fools. I reviewed the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers List sent out by the federal government and state governments. You may have seen it? I spent much of this morning drafting a letter to send forward to the goverment in the same manner Bill Giorgis commented. My writing the letter is one of those, "too much time thingys".      Link:  https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf

Other than Bill Giorgis, and not knowing that any person or state tow association has taken time to respondto the list, and, because not every tow company is responding to calls, I don't want the motoring public and auto club providers to think that this is a blanket letter that all calls in all locations will be honored under all conditions. My letter doesn't whine that we we're left out ... but, serves as our willingness to serve, however, there are restrictions to our response.

In my narrative, I mentioned a list of best practices to suggest that if a customer has to call for a tow truck, here are ten considerations ...  

• Consider parking in a safe location, return home and arrange towing at a later time
  • If at home, consider arranging for a time-call during daylight hours
  • or, Contact your auto club, motor club, insurance provider (app or phone)
  • Remove personals and items of value
  • Arrange to leave keys with the vehicle (in a hidden or designated location)
  • Make arrangements with the auto shop or repair center to accept deliver of vehicle
  • Make arrangements to pay by credit card over the phone
  • Make other arrangements of transportation (Uber, Lyft, taxi, bus, etc.)    
  • Call 911 only if a bonifide emergency exists, or
  • If the vehicle becomes disabled on the highway, pull as far to the shoulder’s edge (away from traffic) as possible, and call 911

Do you guys really care if we're on the list or should a letter be sent out?  While I don't really need anyone's permission to send out a letter, it does include the towing and recovery industry in-support of those tow companies still willing to serve under smart criteria. The letter is poised and ready to send, yet I'd like to hear your ideas as to the value or (otherwise) insignifficance of sending a letter? Note: Any letter I send will go out under the heading, "Randall Resch Training", not under title representing my affiliations to industry publications as I don't have their permission.  Comments?     R.

Randall C. Resch

I can say that APTO in Ohio is aware of the CISA document and has been in contact with our State and DC representatives to provide our input on the matter. Additionally, I'm aware that some Ohio based tow companies have also drafted their own netter and submitted them, such as Bill had done. I had also submitted a letter on behalf of my companies as well. 

I'm surprised that there haven't been any other responses to your request for comment here. 

-Tom

~ I'm not an attorney, nor do I represent to be one. I provide my personal opinion and that on behalf of myself, my company and our operations.