Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Why we must move ‘Move Over’ up the agenda (EMS1)

According to the author, Rob Lawrence, he writes, "Additionally, NHTSA administers over $500 million in grant programs annually. NHTSA awards grants for occupant protection, state traffic safety information systems, impaired driving countermeasures, distracted driving, motorcyclist safety, state graduated driver licensing laws and non-motorized safety." His narrative falls-short of any mention of throwing some of that grant money at protecting tow operators under grant programs initiated by NHTSA. If it's known that tow operators represent the highest number of pedestrian strikes, why is there no focus at the root cause of tow operator deaths? All he's saying what's been known for years.    R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

On 2/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, rreschran said:

According to the author, Rob Lawrence, he writes, "Additionally, NHTSA administers over $500 million in grant programs annually. NHTSA awards grants for occupant protection, state traffic safety information systems, impaired driving countermeasures, distracted driving, motorcyclist safety, state graduated driver licensing laws and non-motorized safety." His narrative falls-short of any mention of throwing some of that grant money at protecting tow operators under grant programs initiated by NHTSA. If it's known that tow operators represent the highest number of pedestrian strikes, why is there no focus at the root cause of tow operator deaths? All he's saying what's been known for years.    R.

For several years now I have been saying grant money should be used to start, or subsidize, physical crash barrier programs in the highest risk areas. We already have motorist assist programs, adding a crash barrier response truck to these types of programs would be an effective way to provide physical protection for all tow and road service responders, not just those working for companies that are progressive enough to provide this protection on their own.

As much as the capitalist within me would like to see proper traffic control, including crash attuenator barrier trucks, become standard response provided at a profit by towers (or at least at break even as a mandatory billable item), I also realize we need to provide protection much sooner than the insurance and motor club industry will evolve to support the fee based provision for these services. This is where grant monies could be used to show proof of concept, allowing crash attuneator trucks to become common in the towing industry.

Hey Brian ... glad to see you're back at home where you can spend time being involved in these posts. Nearly five-year's ago, I suggested that a crash attenuator truck or device be added to the FSP program in San Diego County as an available safety program to assist all highway towers involved in towing off the highway. Sine they already operate during prime time traffic hours, a device could easily be implements into their prgram even if it was a tow-behind, trailerable unit. I approached the biggest companies to see if they were interested in being part of that program. Their response to my suggestions was less than favorable where they cited, "It costs too much", and, "There's too much liability". The message of, "cost and risk", will never add to obtaining increased safety for tow operators working highway events. In knowing that, I'm confident that NHTSA or any other federal program has made tow operator safety a priority over those programs I listed above. SDMO is only one component of developing a proactive safety program, but the working components are over-looked due to cost and liability.    R.

Randall C. Resch