Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

More Tow Truck Fires (CAN)

TowNews

Police investigating string of early morning tow truck fires in North York, Richmond Hill

No injuries have been reported following a string of suspicious tow truck fires in North York and York Region early this morning.

The first fire was reported on Drewry Avenue, located near Bathurst Street and Finch Avenue, at around 3:34 a.m.

Toronto Fire Services said crews were called to a home in the area and found a tow truck fully engulfed in flames.

Fire crews were on the scene of a tow truck and house fire near Bathurst Street and Finch Avenue early Monday morning.

The flames spread from the vehicle, which was parked next to a house, to a garage and the side of the residence.

Firefighters have knocked down the blaze.

The second fire was reported in the same area at around 3:46 a.m.

A tow truck caught fire on Devondale Avenue and the flames have since been knocked down.

Minutes later at around 3:50 a.m., a third tow truck fire was reported near Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.

The home owner extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived on scene.

Between 3:30 a.m. and 4 a.m., two other tow truck fires were reported in Richmond Hill, CP24 has confirmed.

No injuries have been reported and it is not clear if the fires are connected.

RESOURCE LINK with video

Police investigate 5 tow truck fires in Toronto, York Region

TTF122319.thumb.jpg.18236d59ec952199b13927bb1784d569.jpg

Toronto and York police are investigating at least five reports of tow trucks set on fire early Monday morning.

Three of the tow trucks were torched in the area of Bathurst Street and Finch Avenue in North York.

Toronto Fire said one of the fires spread to a home on Drewry Avenue. Nobody was home at the time and the fire has since been knocked down.

Two of the other two truck fires were on Devondale and Connaught avenues.

Fire crews in York Region also responded to tow truck fires in Richmond Hill.

No injuries have been reported.

RESOURCE LINK

String of suspicious tow truck fires in North York and Richmond Hill

TTF122319B.thumb.jpg.563a553178162fadde9d47c45eaa0ad1.jpg

TORONTO -- No injuries have been reported following a string of suspicious tow truck fires in North York and York Region early this morning.

The first fire was reported on Drewry Avenue, located near Bathurst Street and Finch Avenue, at around 3:34 a.m.

Toronto Fire Services said crews were called to a home in the area and found a tow truck fully engulfed in flames.

The flames spread from the vehicle, which was parked next to a house, to a garage and the side of the residence.

Firefighters have knocked down the blaze.

The second fire was reported in the same area at around 3:46 a.m.

A tow truck caught fire on Devondale Avenue and the flames have since been knocked down.

Minutes later at around 3:50 a.m., a third tow truck fire was reported near Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.

The home owner extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived on scene.

Between 3:30 a.m. and 4 a.m., two other tow truck fires were reported in Richmond Hill, CP24 has confirmed.

No injuries have been reported and it is not clear if the fires are connected.

RESOURCE LINK

Police investigating rash of tow truck fires across GTA over the weekend

Police aren’t commenting on whether they suspect there’s an organized crime link to at least seven tow truck fires in the GTA over the weekend.

Three of the fires took place in York Region, three in Toronto and one in Peel Region — just the latest incidents in a rash of violence involving the towing industry.

People in the towing industry say things are getting more violent after a year already marred by arsons and shootings.

“It seems to be escalating quite rapidly,” Mark Graves, president of the Provincial Towing Association, which has been calling for provincial standards to govern the industry, told the Star on Monday.

“We all have concerns,” said Graves, whose association represents roughly 150 companies.

“Everybody’s concerned about their own safety.”

Graves said the violence is driving some ethical operators out of the business and preventing others from entering the industry.

York Region police Insp. Christina Dawson declined to comment on whether the fires are considered to be related to organized crime.

RESOURCE LINK

I've read many of these repeated news reports for some time now that first were fights and threats. Escalation in violence is getting out of control where Canada's turf-wars are likened to those in South Africa. Since the middle of 2018, I've archived as many as 9x tow operators or tow business owners being shot and killed as a result of towing wars in Durban, Phoenix and Cape Town SA. No longer is it the reality of which company is the most qualified, who is known for providing the best service, and with reasonable pricing that determines who gets the tow? Competition used to be what towers would strive for in considering who was, "King of the hill".     R.

Randall C. Resch

It is baffling to me that someone would do that to another company. Dont get me wrong, I dont live in a perfect world where all the tow companies get along in sweet harmony. There is quite a few companies in our relatively small county. There is a group of 3 of us that get along well, help each other out n what have you. Heck, one of my best friends owns and operates the other company thats in my town.We each have keys to one anothers shops. then there are the others who nobody gets along with and we all just steer well clear of each other. Theres always grumblings about who did what and who cut whos throat for a call and so forth. No matter how much I dislike another company or its owner I could never be so vindictive to destroy their equipment. Is business really that scarce in these areas that this kind of crap takes place?  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE