Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Davie tow truck driver shot at while repossessing car (FL)

TowNews

190207-tow-truck-shooting.png?w=1024

DAVIE, FLA. (WSVN) - A tow truck driver was shot at several times as he was in the process of repossessing a vehicle in Davie.

Davie Police units were called to the scene in the area of Southwest 63rd Street and 188th Avenue, Thursday morning.

The driver said that as he was preparing to tow a Mercedes-Benz, gunmen came after him and started shooting.

“I just put my head down and kept on driving,” he told 7News. “I felt one go behind my neck; the heat of the bullet. Other than that, I don’t know what was going on.”

Video from the scene showed a bullet hole on the side of the Mercedes-Benz and a shattered window on the tow truck.

The victim credited his seat’s headrest after one of the bullets became lodged inside of it.

No injuries were reported.

Police continue to investigate.

If you have any information on this shooting, call Broward County Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a $3,000 reward.

RESOURCE LINK with video

Another

RESOURCE LINK with video

Dy3J0nNW0AAntwO.jpg

Man accused of opening fire on tow truck driver in Southwest Ranches

SOUTHWEST RANCHES, FLA. (WSVN) - Police arrested a man accused of opening fire on a tow truck driver in Southwest Ranches.

Juan Barquero is facing several charges, including attempted felony murder.

The 57-year-old allegedly shot at a tow truck driver who was in the process of repossessing the suspect’s Mercedes-Benz, Thursday morning.

Police said Barquero ordered the driver and another person to drop the car.

When they refused, shots were fired into the truck.

No injuries were reported.

RESOURCE LINK with video

Accused gunman's lawyer claims repo men had the wrong car

he 57-year-old man accused of shooting at two men repossessing his Mercedes Benz is being held without bond in the Broward County Jail, but his lawyer says the recovery agents were towing the wrong car.

At Juan A. Barquero’s first court appearance Saturday, Broward Judge Jennifer Hilal told his defense attorney what was at stake.

“This is a punishable by life [in prison] crime,” she said.

Barquero’s attorney told the judge the black 2010 Mercedes E350 was not supposed to be repossessed.

Barquero’s home, in the 6100 block of Southwest 190th Avenue in Southwest Ranches, is surrounded by a fence with a gate.

His lawyer said Barquero had no reason to believe the two men were repossessing the car when they broke through the gate and hooked up the Mercedes about 1 a.m. Thursday.

According to the Davie police report, Barquero was armed with a handgun when he and another man went outside to confront the men and ordered them to return the car.

With their hands in the air and saying they wanted no trouble, the men identified themselves as employees of Gryphon Recovery, showed their credentials and said they had orders from a bank to repossess the car, investigators said.

Barquero said, “he did not care and, again, ordered the victims at gunpoint to lower his car,” the report stated.

Barquero fired seven shots at the tow truck as it drove away, police said.

One shot hit the Mercedes and six other shots shattered the tow truck’s rear window, investigators said.

The two men in the tow truck were not wounded. They pulled over in the 6300 block of Southwest 188th Avenue and called 911, police said.

Later Thursday, police conducted a traffic stop on Sheridan Street near Interstate 75 and arrested Barquero driving a white Mercedes. He was carrying a concealed weapons permit but no guns were found in the car, investigators said.

Police found several firearms and accessories in his home and seven 9mm bullet casings outside but no 9mm handgun was found, detectives said.

Barquero’s attorney told the judge this was all a misunderstanding but she disagreed.

“The allegations are that as the tow truck is driving away he shot seven rounds into the tow truck, one of them hitting the driver’s side headrest,” Hilal said. “I find probable cause exists for the charges [and] I’m going to be holding him, no bond.”

Barqeuro is charged with attempted felony murder, aggravated assault, and firing a missile into an occupied vehicle, records show.

Archived