Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Chipper Mishap

This morning we get a call from our local leo's that there is a DMV needing a trailer to be put back on. Ok, right in front of the shop I arrive see a truck with a chipper on the ground. Grab my jack lift it up see they used the wrong hitch. This truck had a ball and a pintle hook on the rear. Pintle was shut closed. My guess they used the lower ball with some sort of clasp on it that failed. Jacked it up placed it on the pintle and me and the officer agreed let's clear the lane and head to the FD lot. He is crawling to the lot driver said "it no go". I see the breakaway is out (chipper has electric brakes)I put it back in and try to mount the cable to the chassis. Feel the O ring on the chipper is burning hot. I look below to see these pictures. Let's just say the officer wrote a few more tickets besides no tags on it. These days are the days I enjoy doing this.62b1bc6496e32d6820e9f1923253a656.jpgdd32d82b1c27607178f79c7f3fa71038.jpgd0884221189c261a83d95fabb893b142.jpg6088222a97a76a7767f910916eed09f4.jpgc4be99d2dd7794e21fb24c06a5186546.jpg

I'm glad you got to tow that thing before it got away from them.  What a bunch of idiots.

I impounded a truck a while back that had a 1" receiver insert mounted in a 2" receiver hitch.  No trailer on it, but I shudder to think what they may have attempted to tow like that.

Richard

I'm glad you got to tow that thing before it got away from them.  What a bunch of idiots.

I impounded a truck a while back that had a 1" receiver insert mounted in a 2" receiver hitch.  No trailer on it, but I shudder to think what they may have attempted to tow like that.

Richard

I'm glad I noticed it before letting him go after we cleared the lane of travel. Never thought it was dragging till I felt how hot it was.

1 in reciever in a 2 in hitch ewww. Hope the pin was strong metal. I would be scared if it had a 2 5/8" ball on it.

Archived