Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Firestone At2 imbalance "Updated"

Andy

These are on a 2015 F550 245 70 19.5 

New wheels that are true no run out and the correct wheel for the larger tire. I have not spun the tires in the air yet to see if any of them are eggs. 

I installed Firestone 225 70 19.5 Transforce AT2 16 ply tires started with 6.5 ounces of balancing beads. There was an imbalance that started about 40 MPH varies from road conditions but it’s bad when it occurs. Like fillings falling out of your teeth bad. It’s not the truck last set of tires were fine. 

Added to a total of 12.5 ounces per tire in the rear and 10.5 in the front it helped but its still enough it isnt right. I think the window is a little higher speed and quite a bit less though. 

Thinking about trying 2 or 3 more ounces all the way around but thought maybe you might have some other ideas for me. 

My last set of tires were the same exact tire in a 225 70 19.5 and I loved those tires.  It looks like Firestone or Bridgestone as it is has zero tech support for me to talk with. 

Thanks in advance 

We have had hit or miss luck with the beads.  Some of our trucks it works fine, others its terrible.  We finally bought a Hunter Road Force Balancer and the adapters to do the larger wheels.   My truck now rides like a dream balanced properly.   

• Like 4

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

Road force balance and a tire guy that is going to get a big tip next time Im in Portland fixed my issues. He broke them down and spun the tires on the rims two of them a couple times to get the best possible roundness is the word Im going to use. The aluminum wheels took quite a bit of weight which is visible in the center of the rear drivers but Im not  hung up on that. I had it up to 75 tonight and it’s good at all speeds. 

I believe a less aggressive tire would not be near as big an issue these tires have quite a bit of tread depth a softer rubber  there the most aggressive AP or steering tire I can find in a 19.5. I work the mountain roads in winter and run in 4WD a lot and often at higher speeds in 4WD running in and out of ice, snow and pavement. Mismatched tires present bigger issues for me than the cost of these tires.  Otherwise I might choose a different drive tire and steering tire. I ran these in a 225 70 19,5 and loved them from day one until the fronts were thin. Hope to do the same with these. 

Thanks for your input. 

For those thinking about switching from the 225s to 245s I can tell you the stability with heavy load is greatly improved. Im running a 16 ply mainly to reduce risk of sidewall damage in areas a lot of people wont go. So a 14 ply might be a better option for those who stay on paved roads. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have an update to my update. After getting the new wheels and tires road force balanced the overall feel of them was decent. I took it to a truck shop to have it aligned and they rejected it becasue it had play in ball joints tie rod ends etc. None of it was really waht you call worn out but combined there probably was 1/4 of play. 

Replaced all ball joints tie rod ends front shocks and steering shock. 

I picked it up tonight and man my truck is like new. I think it’s needed the front end overhauled for 20,000 miles. Kind of helped me feel better about the time and also money I put into the larger tires. 

Edited by Andy
  • Like 2

• TowForce changed the title to Firestone At2 imbalance "Updated"
  • TowForce featured this topic
  • TowForce unfeatured this topic