Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Driver trapped under garbage truck cab - 06.20.23 "Updated 06.23.23"

First responders save man trapped under garbage truck in Jefferson County

062023.jpg

RIGBY — A tow truck driver was saved by first responders Tuesday afternoon after a garbage truck fell on top of him.

Central Fire District Chief Carl Anderson tells EastIdahoNews.com that emergency responders were called to North 3700 East in Jefferson County at about 1:45 p.m. Tuesday. A tow truck driver had called dispatchers to report he had been working on a garbage truck when an accident occurred.

The tow truck driver had lifted the cab of the garbage truck. But as he was working, the cab suddenly crashed down, pinning the tow truck driver’s body against the tire of the garbage truck. Anderson said the man was lucky that he had access to his cell phone to call for help.

Emergency responders arrived at the accident site and used the jaws of life to lift the cab off the tow truck driver. Anderson said the victim was breathing and talking throughout the rescue.

He was transported by ambulance to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls in stable condition.

His current condition and identity are unknown at this time.

RESOURCE LINK

‘I thought I was going to die.’ Man shares story about the moment he was trapped under a garbage truck

LISTEN: Man being crushed by garbage truck calls 911 for help

IDAHO FALLS — Tyler Pickering was being crushed by a garbage truck for 10 to 15 minutes before he was able to reach into his pocket for his cell phone and call for help.

“Honestly, I thought that was it, underneath the garbage truck. I was going to be dead out in the middle of a field and that was my life,” Pickering told EastIdahoNews.com.

The incident happened on Tuesday near North 3700 East in Jefferson County early afternoon.

The 28-year-old has been a tow truck driver for seven years and works for Sunkiss Towing and Lindsay Truck & Towing.

Crushed by a cab

“It had the cab up on the garbage truck and I was trying to shut the cab so I could tow it. I got behind the wheel and inside the engine, I unlocked the safety latch for it,” Pickering explained. “Usually it has a thing that catches it, a bottle jack, and I am not sure if it wasn’t there or if it didn’t catch it but it just started falling on me.”

Next thing he knew, his back was pinned up against one of the front tires and he was getting crushed by the cab.

“I started throwing up, started gasping for air and I thought I was going to die,” he said. “I started screaming for help but nobody was hearing me besides two dogs and they started barking but they were trying to warn people and I started praying.”

He wasn’t sure what to do until he got an answer after praying: he needed to help himself. Pickering was able to reach his phone out of his pocket. He says he normally leaves it in his tow truck but this time it was on him – with only 2% battery life.

“It took me a couple of minutes but I finally got my phone out. Good thing I had it on me and if I would have dropped it, I would have probably been dead. I called 911,” Pickering said.

He was panicking while calling 911 and could barely talk to the dispatcher because of the pressure on him.

Calling for help

A recording of the 911 call shows the panic in Pickering’s voice:

Dispatcher: “Jefferson 911, where is your emergency?”
Pickering: “Help, I need help, I’m stuck!”
Dispatcher: “You’re stuck? Where are you at?”
Pickering: “I don’t know, can you record my location?”
Dispatcher: “What are you stuck in?”
Pickering: “A truck. I am a tow truck driver. Hurry!”
Dispatcher: “Try to calm your breathing down, OK?”
Pickering: “I can’t. I am getting crushed. … Hurry, I don’t know if I can last.”
Dispatcher: “I have people headed your way. Stay on the phone with me and try to stay conscious, OK?”
Pickering: “OK. Hurry!”

LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE 911 CALL HERE:

CLICK HERE FOR FOLLOW-UP NEWS VIDEO:

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/06/i-thought-i-was-going-to-die-man-shares-story-about-the-moment-he-was-trapped-under-a-garbage-truck/

• TowForce changed the title to Tow Truck Driver trapped under garbage truck cab - 06.20.23 "Updated 06.23.23"
  • TowForce featured this topic

To. Listen to this 911 call sends chills down my spine. I feel that Tyler saved his life by three important factors; above all he remained calm, he was able to tell his location, and he had his cellphone in his possession. Of all the freak situations towers get in to, this is one where lessons can be learned. God bless you Tyler, Christine and I pray for your fast recovery.

Randall C. Resch