Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Recent California Tow Operator Fatality - Gore Point Reminders

By now you’ve likely watched news video of the California tower who was struck and killed May 31st. While there are many, many comments blaming a lack of SDMO, I wish to make note that one huge associated factor with this fatality was; the carrer was parked within a dangerous Gore Point location. Having enlarged a (still) photo taken from one of the many videos, it's my take that the carrier parked atop the far, tapering end of a Gore Point. Regardless as to what side of the carrier the tower would have been working, he likely would have been standing, walking, or working in live traffic lanes. May I suggest that gore point situations (like this) require 911 response by the highway patrol. This is certainly a topic for discussion at monthly tow safety meetings. I pray for the operator’s family, the company he worked for and the community he served.

Gore Point Griffith Park MAy 31, 2023.jpg

Gore Poiint Griffith Park May 31, 2023 PIC 3.jpg

Randall C. Resch

So many lessons to be learned in relation to this tragic event. The hazard of a blind curve was enhanced by the minimal space at the end of that gore. This called for traffic control which I assume was not requested. Our truck would have been behind the disabled vehicle until some form of traffic control arrives. Our drivers are told over and over to request assistance rather than put themselves in danger. Law Enforcement will respond to our location in such situations it may take a little time. Because the majority of other companies tell their drivers to just go ahead and get it rather than wait for backup. In my opinion, they are negligent for putting their drivers in harm's way. Any thoughts and how would you have instructed your driver to have dealt with this type of situation?

I find most companies do not have a plan and have never held a safety meeting. Insurance companies should require these types of safety procedures to be documented. We document everything and hope we never have to present that documentation.

• Like 1

Well said ... and I agree with your opinion and points made. At the get-go, this scenario would have should have initiated a 911 call to the highway patrol.

At some point, tow operators (owners too) must evaluate common reasoning; choosing to get killed for the price of a service call goes beyond common reasoning.

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch