Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

19 lives lost in construction zones in the last year (OH)

TowNews

AUSTINTOWN

Nineteen cones stood at a Thursday morning Ohio Department of Transportation event to represent 19 lives lost in construction zones in the last year.

“Slow Down and Move Over” welcomed members of the public, first responders, construction workers, tow truck drivers and more to an event dedicated to spreading awareness about safety in construction zones and on the highways and freeways.

“The purpose is to protect everyone who works on roads and those traveling on roads,” said John Picuri, ODOT District 4 deputy director.

The message is simple: “slow down and move over for road workers,” Picuri said.

One of the 19 cones was dressed in avest for John Pasko,

Pasko was killed March 16 after an SUV traveling south on the interstate hit him. Pasko was part of an ODOT brush clearing crew under the Market Street Bridge.

That cone, Picuri said, is a sobering reminder of the cause.

But the cones serve the challenge, said ODOT Director Jerry Wray, “to get people to become aware of what’s going on out on the road.”

Kenny Robinson, Mahoning County post Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper, and Andy Jackson, Ashtabula County highway technician, shared their stories of both near misses and actual accidents that could’ve killed them.

“Pay attention and you’ll save the world a lot of pain and heartache,” Wray said.

Picuri reiterated that slowing down and moving over isn’t a courtesy, it’s Ohio law and “the right thing to do.”

RESOURCE LINK

This is good, however there are Tow Trucks there from a Tow Truck Operators prospective.

I will say having gone back and watched it again, I was glad the fellow in the Faded Jeans and Orange Works T-Shirt was not a Tower. Our Works Employees here wear uniforms which look more professional. They also would have likely had on a reflective safety vest to promote the fact they are visible. Had that been a Tow Truck Operator I was going to go all kinds of crazy and start in on how Towers want to be in the class of First Responders. But, some do not present themselves in a manner to be considered in such classification.

That's My Rant... oh yes I have comfortable faded jeans and T-Shirts I cut grass in and even run errands in. But, I have a reflective uniform when in the Tow Truck. Please if you are ever in one of these public videos dress proper and have others do the same.  Now, I want to get a clip of just the OSHP Trooper giving the statistics. Listen closely as this reinforces the High Risk Tow Truck Operators when on the interstates & Highways just doing the job daily. Moving Quickly and Jumping Out of the Way is common for many of us. As most of us have experienced that more than once in our career.

Archived