Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Got my own truck stuck on a tow

Got the roll back stuck on a tow. Usually I chain up but thought no I got this. It’s not uncommon for me to get stuck in the wrecker I’m still living life on the edge in that thing maybe someday I will grow up probably when I can’t get myself unstuck. I should have walked the half mile driveway first but the customer told me he had a circle drive at the end. Which he did but the car I was towing was blocking it, of course it was. I ask questions that I know are too complex for people to grasp. You know things like could a UPS truck back up to your vehicle, is the driveway passable without 4WD and studs etc. people think because there studded Subaru drives in and out with no issues I can levitate a roll back to it I guess. 

This driveway was lined with sharp corners and trees close enough to the road I'm almost hitting them with my mirrors and back corners of the bed and of course there’s compound angles throw in the recent storm and that it’s at the base of mt Adams fun night. Fortunately the very trees that created the scenario that helped land me in three feet of iced over snow got me out. One precisely placed winch line ( that’s what I call it when I get lucky and things land exactly where they need to) then  I had to back out then back back in and then drag this locked up vehicle on ice around that circle drive which was lined with rocks. Lots of stupid design engineering here. Two many trees to narrow of a driveway sharp steep corners and one circle end thats just barely wide enough in a car to get around and dont forget the large rocks why do people do that. I have some words for it. Id fire up the backhoe and chain saw if I lived there and make some breathing room. 

I ripped my front air damn off, had to crawl around the three plus feet of ice but it’s life. I bid the job well still made money nothing broken that will cost more than a little time to fix. It’s been a weird winter here lots of ice. Last year was deep snow and often which I like better than ice. No pictures of me wrestling the truck out I was gloved up 13 degrees and burning daylight but 28 miles of roads like this getting there. 
BE635FDD-8A4A-46A1-A600-6CE16DFB2CC9.thumb.jpeg.2315698e05d1ba65667d06b807fcc969.jpeg2E50DE14-E593-45C2-AED4-C48EC60F70F5.thumb.jpeg.4a83087437d675cd13adc53273a33a32.jpeg

• Like 1

The narrow winding driveway thing is pretty common here too. People think it's pretty, I guess, but what if they had a fire or a medical emergency? People just don't think about things like that when they build. I had one guy tell me that he had plenty of access because when his house was built, the concrete truck had no problem getting in. Of course that was in the summer and before he lined the driveway with boulders and put in the fence with the 10 foot wide gate.

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.