Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Old style wrecker

MNM

Hello everyone, I bought this 2001 f550 with this older wrecker on the back and I cannot find any info on it at all, don't know the brand or model, it has double winch, roughly 2 feet long maybe a tiny bit less, and stands at 10 inches roughly, they are huge winches, maybe 15-20k+ each winch i'd assume. Everything works on it. Was hoping maybe someone on here would know what kind it is and possibly even the value. Thanks in advance!

550.jpg

318732087_1821787144851436_5246598122961016283_n.jpg

318733684_1821786784851472_3052198529822227620_n.jpg

319014366_1821786754851475_901129660806655910_n.jpg

It's unusual.... The boom reminds me of a Holmes design - fiberglass side covers (like the old Commander series), side mounted pistons but the head/fairlead assembly isn't Holmes. The tow bar/sling definitely isn't Holmes....nor the winches. The body isn't Holmes, they never had that tail light configuration but I don't recall anyone else having it as well? 

If I had to guess...I would say it's a Chinese import unit. They are notorious for copying segments & pieces (copyright infringement isn't in their vocabulary) and the body design seems like something they would produce. The molded fender flairs, the chamfered edges on the boxes, the rear pull ring incorporated in to the tail board...and the goofy looking tow sling which looks like it is from 2 different generations?

Did you find this in Canada?

1 hour ago, EdsTowing said:

It's unusual.... The boom reminds me of a Holmes design - fiberglass side covers (like the old Commander series), side mounted pistons but the head/fairlead assembly isn't Holmes. The tow bar/sling definitely isn't Holmes....nor the winches. The body isn't Holmes, they never had that tail light configuration but I don't recall anyone else having it as well? 

If I had to guess...I would say it's a Chinese import unit. They are notorious for copying segments & pieces (copyright infringement isn't in their vocabulary) and the body design seems like something they would produce. The molded fender flairs, the chamfered edges on the boxes, the rear pull ring incorporated in to the tail board...and the goofy looking tow sling which looks like it is from 2 different generations?

Did you find this in Canada?

Yes, bought in Ottawa, ontario. Second person to tell me it could be a chinese import, could be that, any idea what they go for? everything works.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.... A serious wrecker company isn't going to buy a 22 year old wrecker for commercial use. A lot will depend on the chassis...that's what you are buying here. Trucks are a little nuts now so maybe this is worth 8 or 10,000? Does it run? Looks like a 7.3 truck, 2wd? I think a lot would depend on the trucks basic condition & operation. The unit will probably work...up to the point it doesn't...and then the problem is finding parts & pieces. There has to be an ID tag somewhere on it?