Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Does Your Company Have A Pay Phone?

Pay_Phone2_5a691.jpg.76d56c0478020d74e01ddccd1575c537.jpg

By Randall C. Resch 

Pay phone? What’s that? A tow owner called me (all freaked-out) worried he’d be cited for not having a payphone for customer access. Because California beats to its own drum, old, defunct vehicle code laws remain on the books.  

A recent police contract made mention of this requirement written in “Facility Requirements” stating, “A lighted and accessible pay-phone must be available for customer use.”  

To that I reply, “Are you kidding me?” 

Read the rest of the story HERE

• Haha 1

Up until a year ago we still had a booth similar to this one outside the front door. Not sure how many years it sat without a payphone. I do recall one as a child and watching folks check for change. However, the phone part has been gone more than a decade. After the phone was taken out we had one of those payphone on the counter. That lasted a few months and it became a huge hassle. Everyone has access to a cell phone now, so no issues there anymore.

• Like 2

Those are relics from the past, every now and then you see one out of the corner of your eye. Knew a guy that had a pile of them. Kept asking what he was going to do with them and he said he guessed he'd scrap them when he found time. Went back there a couple of years ago and they were all gone but one booth. He said scrap prices got high enough to make it worth his time. He left one as a reminder not to hoard stuff like that ever again. Scrap did not bring what he thought it would, they weren't that heavy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...