Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Effectiveness of air bags (air mats actually,) when trying to lift heavy...  

I am looking for some input on how effective a set of air mats would be to lift a loaded detachable trailer about 10", weighing about 55,000 lbs loaded.

I move rail cars. All weekend long I have been researching the different mfgers of heavy lifting air mats that would suit my particular needs. I've zero'd in on a particular system that I think would work well for me, being a set of 8 bar, 23.2 ton capacity, 11.8" lift height mats with a dual controller. One under each side of this detachable trailer deck prior to loading, then once loaded and secured...inflate the bags to acquire the proper height so it isn't so brutal reattaching the mechanical detachable goose neck back to the deck itself. For all you guys that haven't had the privilege of dealing with a mechanical detach and only have dealt with a hydraulic one...don't quit your day job is all I can say.

I've attached a picture for a visual. I had one supplier explain that height drastically reduces the weight lifting capacity, and that surface area and force determines lift. I'm having a hard time believing his numbers; he said that a 23.2 ton/11" lift height bag will be reduced to around 3500-5000 lbs of lifting capacity. that sure is significantly lesser than the advertised specs on MOST ALL brands.

Once loaded and secured, I'm looking to reduce the stress and abuse of getting back under this mechanical detach neck by raising the deck height prior to re-connecting to make it easier on the equipment. Been using bottle jacks, but it's a pain in the neck and a lot of extra work. I could retro fit a hydraulic cylinder on the neck run off the wetline too yes, but by the time I do all that I could be into this air system for about the same and don't have to cut my trailer all up.

Anyone have any technical support and real numbers here to help me determine which bags and system I can use to achieve my goals?

Much appreciated.

FrontViewOfSuperiorDropDeckRamps.jpg

DoubleDropExtendable (1).jpg

• Platinum Sponsor

Okay, so I've now seen everything on this post and you probably need to call me to discuss it. My number is 800-827-3755. I can fix you up and have done this work on several occasions. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

John Sweezy Jr

matjackman

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matjackman said:

Okay, so I've now seen everything on this post and you probably need to call me to discuss it. My number is 800-827-3755. I can fix you up and have done this work on several occasions. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

John Sweezy Jr

matjackman

Hi John, Thanks for the reply.

I'm busy in the field today, so tomorrow (Thursday 1-6-22) I'll be in the office working staying warm and dry for a change. I can call tomorrow and chat.

Been doing quite a bit of research on different air mat/jack suppliers for several days now, getting technical input and information.

Problem is, based on what I'm hearing...I'd have to go with a much higher capacity bag, which translates to a much higher cost per bag...which gets up in cost significantly compared to some other alternative like hydraulics.

If I get freed up today later on at some point, I'll try calling you. If not..definitely tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the response John.