Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

It's The Sudden Stop That Gets You

We were called tonight by the NJSP for a single vehicle crash right around the corner from my house. As I was on my way there I got a text from my buddy who's a dispatcher. He heard his co worker call us and leave out a small detail.....

IMG_6315.thumb.jpg.35d58112a9dd1ced20ea9c35a6e23f86.jpg

The car rear ended a tractor and trailer that was making a turn. Since I was so close I kept going to assess the situation and see what else I needed. The tt was fine, it just had a bent DOT bar so he pulled it into the parking lot out of my way. As I was doing a walk-around I noticed the engine and trans didn't seem to be held in my too much anymore. I called my dad for a bed and started to try to put the puzzle back together.

20211018_214839.thumb.jpg.9c424928b857b63ae6227e3fc5d53190.jpg

I put my boom on the motor to lift it up off the ground so I could pull the car into the parking lot and open the road. Apparently the drivetrain had other ideas and I ended up just pulling that into the parking lot and leaving the car 

Snapchat-976519338.thumb.jpg.298e81e5be584a44b72e2d9ce0ffc3f5.jpg

When the car hit the motor dropped down and the car rested on top of it. When I pulled it up it never stopped until it was clear of the engine compartment. After we loaded the car on the bed I dropped the motor behind it. Then we started the hard part, the clean up. About twenty minutes, 2 bags of floor dry on top of the 15 or so the fire department already put down and 3 trash bags full of debris later we were clear. This was one of those jobs that doesn't look that bad at first and slowly builds into a pain in the ass.

• Like 5

I get so many newer vehicles that are damage to the point the engine is dislodged. I hate calling a rollback for something I was always able to transport with a regular tow truck and dollies if needed. However, the risk of the engine falling out is not something I am willing to take when there is an alternative. Wow, the old guys would be furious to here me say this today. I assure you it is not something I uttered just a few years ago.