Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Time travel required

Ed Allegretti

I've been getting automated calls from honk. Here's a typical call. 3pm go 2 hours away to a vehicle load it up, carry the customer and the vehicle another 2 hours further needs to be there by 5pm.  My math says i can't drive 4 hours in 2 hours. Loading and uploading is instant. Time travel is the answer. Declined the $240. This job takes me or a paid driver 8 hours on the road for $240. $200 goes for fuel. $40 for lunch and dinner. Zero left. Punt. 

• Like 2

You forgot the $40-$60 in wear and tear / maintenance / logistics costs on top of your $200 fuel and $40 food expenses.. Now it is COSTING you money to work for those bozo's...

Real Good call on the pass of that one. 

It is still a huge mystery to me that there are plenty of guys out there who will jump up and run jobs like that for these clubs and do it with a smile on their faces because they THINK they are making money.. 

I do some work for clubs.... AT MY RATES, ON MY TERMS..

Maybe thats why they dont call me all that much... :thinking:LOL

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

They use some magic mapping software too. The actual road miles are twice what they think. If I figure in labor costs, wear and tear, truck payment, insurance and registration costs, I'm left with it costing me $2/mile to respond to these calls. I might better just do charity work and get the tax write off.  No thanks But, it's not all bad. Sometimes they pay me $90 to move a vehicle 5 minutes away. 

• 9 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:20 PM, GRUMPS The Towman said:

You forgot the $40-$60 in wear and tear / maintenance / logistics costs on top of your $200 fuel and $40 food expenses.. Now it is COSTING you money to work for those bozo's...

Real Good call on the pass of that one. 

It is still a huge mystery to me that there are plenty of guys out there who will jump up and run jobs like that for these clubs and do it with a smile on their faces because they THINK they are making money.. 

I do some work for clubs.... AT MY RATES, ON MY TERMS..

Maybe thats why they dont call me all that much... :thinking:LOL

Yeah it’s the clowns that are running all there service calls lock outs jump starts out of a pruis. $20 last them all week for fuel. All you need a is a SSN and proof of insurance. Here in Los Angeles there is a bout 20-30 Prius’s doing service calls. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just saw this original post.

We had signed up, given our rates, put the app on my phone.  I only ran a few calls, they were not paying me by my rates.  Removed that annoying app from my phone, now we only take calls where there is a person on the other end of the line.  That comes after you don't respond to the robo calls.

They tell you what they want to pay, I just tell them we have a truck available but cannot do the work for that amount, give them my rate.  Then, they have to get it approved, sometimes they call back, sometimes they dont. 

I also have them email me the dispatch information; I do not give them my cell phone numbers anymore.  I only had the app on my phone originally, gave them my guy's cell phone number on one of the calls I sent him on, they contacted him while he was on that call multiple times, then, they sent him a text one time when he was not even working.  No more cell phone numbers for them.

Now, this week, they called me to run one for them.  They apparently have a new policy where they want the call documented with pictures, which is not a problem, actually, it takes away some of the blame game.  The problem, they want the pictures uploaded while you or on scene via cell phone to their app.  This is a covert attempt to get cell phone numbers.  Once they have your numbers, expect to be called, even if you don't have the app.  To add insult to injury, if you do have an issue with a dispatch, try getting a person on the phone.

I told the lady we would be happy to take pictures, four corners and the VIN#, for a fee, and submit them when we submitted for billing.  She was ok with the fee but told me we had to do it while we were on the job.  We passed.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...