Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Calculating cost per mile to operate?

I have done my cost per mile to operate the trucks a couple different ways.  I am wondering how you guys calculate your insurance cost per mile.

I ended up using my insurance cost per year and divided that by the number of miles I run the trucks on an assumption.

I would be interested in how you may calculate yours

thanks

Tracy

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

43 minutes ago, Stubborn66 said:

I have done my cost per mile to operate the trucks a couple different ways.  I am wondering how you guys calculate your insurance cost per mile.

I ended up using my insurance cost per year and divided that by the number of miles I run the trucks on an assumption.

I would be interested in how you may calculate yours

thanks

Tracy

Add up all of your expenses for the year and divide by the mileage.   Payroll, insurance, fuel, oil changes, tires, any repairs.  Roughly I figure it costs me around $1 per mile to run my light duty trucks plus paying a driver.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

Thanks,

I wanted a little more detail of the expenses but I basically came up with the same number.  My challenge is that the trucks have been mostly used to bring work back to the shop so the shop carried them.  I am getting into more and more outside work and looking to hire a driver/ mechanic so I wanted to make sure I am covering all the costs.  Below is my calcs, did I miss anything?  The big surprise for me was the cost of insurance.  I broke out only the truck insurance to get to this number, my general shop liability is not included.  I need to add the driver salary and a profit for the company to those calcs, but where is stands, it cost .89 per mile to run the trucks and I am basing that on 25MPH.

Fuel $0.25
Tags $0.18
Insurance $0.30
Depreciation/ maintenance $0.16

salary driver  
Profit company  

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...